[x3d-public] HAnim and glTF skins

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 07:01:20 PST 2018

I am collecting information on these skinning systems here:

https://github.com/andreasplesch/x3dom/wiki/HAnim-and-glTF-skins

[This is a editable wiki if anybody wants to add to it]

It looks like the less well known

jointBindingPositions/Rotations/Scales and skinBindingCoords/Normals

fields used for non-humanoid skeletons may be useful but I am not
certain how to interprete those fields. Castle may not implement those
as a search did not find a match ?

My understanding is that the transformation matrix defined by these
fields needs to applied before joint trafos are applied. But to which
vertices ? The ones listed in skinBindingCoords for sure (if they are
indexed by skinIndex field in the joint) but how does
skinBindingCoords and skinCoords field interact ? Does the
skinBindingCoords field take precedence ? But why then have both
fields in the first place ?

Could the jointBinding fields equivalently be replaced by a sub-Joint
node under the joint the fields map to ?

Is there an example using these fields ?

Thanks,

-Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch