[x3d-public] Demo of loading glTF assets into an X3D scene -- using X3DOM

vmarchetti at kshell.com vmarchetti at kshell.com
Thu Aug 8 07:10:34 PDT 2019

I have prepared demonstrations of loading glTF assets into an X3D scene using X3DOM's extended capability of the Inline node.
The purpose of these demos was to test whether the inlined glTF asset can generate X3D events when a sibling of a TouchSensor, and the
answer, yes they can. Each model should respond to a mouse-over the human figure by showing a text caption above the figure.

The demos are:
http://www.kshell.com/pages/gltfassets/sharpdressedman/ <http://www.kshell.com/pages/gltfassets/sharpdressedman/>
which loads a glTF exported from a SketchFab model: https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/sk-high-res-7b740c6dcf6e4c06b2ea666298fc66f4 <https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/sk-high-res-7b740c6dcf6e4c06b2ea666298fc66f4>
My comment on this one:  I would like to add more lighting, but the X3D rendered asset doesn't seem to be effected by X3D lights -- any comments?

http://www.kshell.com/pages/gltfassets/toomuchcoffee/ <http://www.kshell.com/pages/gltfassets/toomuchcoffee/>
loading a gltf exported from SketchFab model : https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/127-333-06f2cff1d71942deaba085785dab443a <https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/127-333-06f2cff1d71942deaba085785dab443a>
My comment : Don't know if it's possible to use the animation data, which seems to be referenced in the JSON index into the glTF data. The animation is displayed on the SketchFab page, the X3DOM representation is a static pose. Any Comments?

Some common information

For both pages I am loading the release X3DOM full library http://x3dom.org/release/x3dom-full.js,  which as of Aug 8 2019 is redirecting to X3DOM v 1.8 at https://x3dom.org/download/1.8.0/x3dom-full.js

These models were exported from SketchFab as a folder, with a JSON index file named scene.json, a separate binary data file, and a subfolder of texture images. X3DOM make several network calls to retrieve these components of the glTF asset. My next test will be to package each model into a single .glb file to verify that X3DOM can load thge asset with a single network call.

Vince Marchetti