[x3d-public] Digital Object Identifier (DOI) system and DOIs

vmarchetti at kshell.com vmarchetti at kshell.com
Wed Feb 20 05:49:41 PST 2019

This concept is anagramatically related to OID , also call object identifier, as specified in ISO/IEC 8824-1

There is an IEEE tutorial document at https://standards.ieee.org/content/dam/ieee-standards/standards/web/documents/tutorials/oid.pdf

I have seen these applied to Parts of the STEP standard, for example STEP AP 242 2014 revision has oid: { iso standard 10303 part(242) version(1) }

A 'gotcha' when working with these is that, at least for the 8824-1 identifiers, you can't assume that a document has a unique OID; for a standard supported by multiple standards organizations,  each can assign it a separate OID.

While the OID's are used for standards and other documents, and can also refer to components of a document (paragraphs, clauses) I have not seen them applied to STEP files, those containing 3D models and other PMI; but I also haven't seen a statement that they couldn't or shouldn't be used for that purpose.

Vince Marchetti