[x3d-public] Anchor target within scene: code example

Joseph D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 27 16:29:49 PST 2019

➢ Interchange profile hint: this field may be ignored.

OK, some good stuff, and a has been extended and retracted over the rears.
So in this, the target could be an inline ‘defname.url’ and the new url would replace the old. Looks like even without any use of routes at all. Just have one anchor in any part of the scene refer to an inline name and url anywhere else in the scene, but not by propagating an event from the sensor to a route then to the node, but by essentially directOut of url from the anchor to the node. This may be more of a problem in the scenegraph and event processing than you anticipate.

➢ Hint: set parameter to target=frame_name to load target url into another frame.

I guess the target is intended to be some url in some node in the current scene.
There is no such thing as an x3d frame in this html usage of the term so taken literally the target must be a frame in the current html page hosting a frame that hosts the current scene.
Very unlikely this will work without a script.
However, I think this addition to x3d anchor functionality is Not Even Worded close to what you are talking about, and I say has not been thought about with enough detail to get any traction at all.

Wow, the html a is so cool look at all the stuff, style, and events it carries. Opps well all that stuff is more that I need or want.

So I am up for discussing how to change anchor to allow targeting a url field of another node in the same context by adding target- where default is _self and the target would be inlinenode.url but please notice the syntax and event baggage of the html A.
At first this seems pretty simple but it can get overly complicated fast when instead technically the best way is to use some of the lower level more versatile x3d touchsensors along with routes.

Instead you want the anchor to be able to go spraying stuff around the scene like you can only otherwise do with a directOut script. X3d wants to be more organized and organizable than that.

To summarize, it sounds like a simple fix but since x3d has lots more features to cover this operation than does html, then menolike and advise to use other nodes to do this.
Good Luck and Have Fun,
Joe