[x3d-public] JSON Schema Work In Progress Feedback and X3D preparations

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Jun 10 06:15:11 PDT 2019

On 6/9/2019 12:00 PM, John Carlson wrote:
> Note, the next draft will not be called draft-08 when published.
>
> So we should probably stop calling that draft that.

No worries.  Their current labeling is

	"Next Draft (by whatever name)"
and
	"We have typically referred to this as draft-08"

So we can continue to simply use whatever they say their name is.  IETF will likely guide them, there are lots of procedures and policies there for draft document naming.

> See link for more details.
>
> I haven’t seen any software implementations (validators) yet.
>
> Ajv looks like it’s getting a new repository on GitHub.

Agreed that getting good JSON Schema validator support is key next step for our X3D JSON testing.  We will be providing them excellent feedback regarding whether it is working.

Wondering, if you want to simplify the editing chores for evolution of our X3D JSON schemas, then if "draft-08" has a lot of changes then we might simply focus on Interchange profile support.  That is testable and a lot smaller.  Once we have a good design pattern, it is time to "turn the crank" and automate production of full JSON schemas for X3D versions 3.0 thru 4.0.

Once valid schemas are in hand, we then install the revised JSON schema validator of choice, and can then finally apply our already-available automated validation of schemas and 2900 X3D .json models themselves.  Boom presto, lather-rinse-repeat until full validity is achieved.

> FYI,
>
> John

thanks for tracking this John!