[x3d-public] X3D Semantic Web minutes 17 June 2019: communications, workshop, FOAF, RDFa, ontology mappings

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Jun 17 12:47:02 PDT 2019

Jakub, Thanos and I had an excellent semantics discussion today.

Semantic Working Group primary page is

	http://www.web3d.org/working-groups/x3d-semantic-web

Under "Status" and "Communications" it says

* Results are reported on the x3d-public mailing list with members-only list semantics at web3D.org (subscribe)

Given that we have a steadily increasing flow of mail traffic occurring, it seems best to shift semantics discussion to its own mailing list.

Don will work with webmaster to either change that list, or create a semantics-public list.

2.  *Using Zoom*

We tested Zoom and it allowed us to use the channel even though it was at a different time than originally scheduled.  We will use it next time, since screen sharing is helpful.

* http://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information
* Thursday 09-1100 pacific, Join URL https://zoom.us/ [code omitted] for X3D Semantic Web Working Group

We will continue again with regular meeting on Thursday.

3. *Web3D Website*

Some of our content is going into version control.  It is currently minimalist but available at

	https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/semantics/

Once current website transitions are complete, we have asked for this tree to move to top level:

	https://www.web3d.org/semantics/

Meanwhile all of this information is going into version control at

	https://sourceforge.net/p/x3d/code/HEAD/tree/www.web3d.org/semantics/

with initial tree equal to

* documentation/
* examples/
* foaf/
* nbproject/
* ontologies/
* build.xml
* indexSemantics.redirect.html
* semantics.html

4. *Web3D 2019 Workshop*

Our abstract is attached for convenience.  Of special note are the References which provide primary sources for our shared work:

* Dean Allemang and Jim Hendler. 2011. Semantic Web for the Working Ontologist: Effective Modeling in RDFS and Owl, second edition. Morgan Kaufman Elsevier.
    http://workingontologist.org

* Leslie F. Sikos. 2015. Mastering Structured Data on the Semantic Web: From HTML5 Microdata to Linked Open Data. Springer Apress, NewYork.
    https://www.lesliesikos.com/mastering-structured-data-on-the-semantic-web

* Library of Congress, Washington DC. 2018. Born to Be 3D: Digital Stewardship of Intrinsic 3D Data, workshop.
    https://www.loc.gov/preservation/digital/meetings/b2b3d/b2b3d2018.html

* Nicholas Polys. 2014. Open Semantic Network Analysis Platform (OSNAP) visualization, Virginia Polytechnic Institute.
    http://vis.arc.vt.edu/projects/osnap/home.html

* Poznań University of Economics and Business (Poland). 2012. Semantic 3D: Semantics for Interactive 3D Content.
    http://semantic3d.org

* Web3D Consortium. 2019. X3D Semantic Web Working Group.
    http://www.web3d.org/workinggroups/x3d-semantic-web

* World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). 2019. Semantic Web Standards.
    https://www.w3.org/standards/semanticweb

5. *Workshop Presentations*

We next worked on the slideset presentations:

* Web3D Semantic WG:

	https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1LUaBueJ6qzdYhPZ3HApT9GZIz4Ma0AnBwBWnAxqrQAI/

* Web3D Semantic Workshop:

	https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1LbOD2aDWmCmWhhtsin8FJTeX0c4aTvlOT3ctXxSuyVM/

* Thoughts and Ideas:

	https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1fCMu0V-zRAfJqFId7QIMyLh2EOCr5Qgl63MqqyFk6JM/

We agreed that Thanos and Jakub will focus on getting slidesets as complete as possible in time for the workshop.  Don will work on the version-control and website assets.

6. *FOAF*

Leslie's book contains an excellent description of Friend of a Friend (FOAF).

Jakub and I will create individual FOAF files and put them in version control.

FOAF is a great way to learn Semantic Web relationships.  It will also provide simple content that will help us evaluate tools.

Discussion/investigation topic: where shall we put these files?  Post individually or collected together somewhere?

7. *RDFa for X3D Examples Archives*

> On Mon, Jun 3, 2019 at 10:10 PM Leslie SIKOS <l.sikos at ecu.edu.au> wrote:
>
>     Hi
>
>     There is nothing new here, and you do not have to reinvent a deployment method. Two years ago, in my Web3D '17 paper (https://doi.org/10.1145/3055624.3075943), and in more details in the following journal paper (https://doi.org/10.1504/IJMSO.2017.10008658), I explained how to utilize the entire terminology of X3D in RDF, which can be directly serialized as RDFa or HTML5 Microdata in markup attributes, or segregated from the markup as JSON-LD in script elements.
>
>     Kind Regards
>
>     Leslie

Now that the website is again validating content satisfactorily, we can continue with applying these principles to example scenes.  In essence, meta tags for each model provide a rich set of information that can also be expressed in RDFa.  We will work on this for Thursday's meeting.

	X3D Resources - Examples: Scene Archives for X3D
	https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dResources.html#Examples

8. *X3D Ontology*

Leslie has very interesting ontology available as follows.

On 6/6/2019 11:03 PM, Leslie SIKOS wrote:
> The permanent namespace URI of my ontology is https://purl.org/ontology/t3dmo/
>
> The ontology file was hand-coded and passes consistency checking with both the HermiT and Pellet reasoners.

This ontology has several sections relating to multiple file formats.

### X3D ###

### Additional Concepts ###

### AutoDesk 3ds Max ###

### AutoDesk Maya ###

###  3ds Max/Maya ###

### AutoDesk AutoCAD ###

### Additional Concepts with Reused Concepts ###

### Properties/Predicates/Roles ###

### Additional Roles ###

Jakub and I will work on X3DUOM -> stylesheet -> X3DUOM-based ontology matching Leslie's ontology.

Have fun with X3D Semantic Web!  8)