[x3d-public] X3D Semantic Web announce: new X3D Ontology

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Jun 17 20:25:09 PDT 2019

Following discussions with Thanos, Jakub and I again studied Leslie's manually crafted ontology (URI below) and the X3DUOM.

	X3D Unified Object Model (X3DUOM)
	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3DUOM.html

We then tackled autogeneration of an X3D ontology by reading X3DUOM with an XSLT stylesheet and creating a Turtle .ttl file.

We are happy to report initial success.  Available at

	https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/semantics/

with version control of changes at

	https://sourceforge.net/p/x3d/code/HEAD/tree/www.web3d.org/semantics/

specifically at

	X3D 4.0 Ontology (initial draft)
	URI <http://www.web3d.org/semantics/ontologies/X3dOntology4.0#>
	https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/semantics/X3dOntology4.0.ttl

This passes validation with the Manchester OWL 2 turtle reasoner, and with Protege.

Ontology metrics from Protege:
==============================
3022 Axiom
2083 Logical axiom count
  939 Declaration axiom count
  362 Class count
  577 Object property count
  577 Dataproperty count
  296 SubClassOf
1122 ObjectPropertyDomain
  665 ObjectPropertyRange

Wow, wow, wow.  Lots more to do but we are in motion.

Have fun with X3D Semantic Web!  8)

Don and Jakub