[x3d-public] pub/sub for multiuser. SP-ARK input. pub/sub in event loop for X3Dv4

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sun Mar 31 15:35:50 PDT 2019

What do you think about using pub/sub or messaging?  What “style” of protocol works best in SP-ARK’s case?  I think one to many and many to one is one of the best features of pub/sub, but often it takes a lot infrastructure to maintain the queues.

Maybe we should step back and define the objects we are communicating.

1. Avatar (initial H-Anim figure) and position, orientation, motion (ongoing).   This is done by pc.multiplayer tag around the world
2. Things the avatar might be carrying (shapes transformed by the avatars position, orientation and motion)
3. Sounds-chat-video applied to avatar position
4. ???

Thus some actions might be:

Subscribe to Avatar Topic, Reply Address
Subscribe to Inventory Topic, Reply Address
Subscribe to Communication Topic, Reply Address
Avatar Publish
Inventory Publish
Communication Publish
Receive Avatar Publish
Receive Inventory Publish
Receive Communication Publish

This feels a lot more natural to me than the SQL, Chat or REST protocols.

We can create different topics to communicate about, probably subclasses of NetworkSensor or some such.

Check out the High Fidelity intro video for ideas about what might be done, re: Inventory.   This will be important when we get to VR controllers.

Collaboration as far as the scene itself is a lot like SAI, but perhaps we need to consider network traffic for that?

Don, what do you think about putting a network pub/sub interface into the event loop for X3Dv4?  Is there a popular JavaScript pub/sub?