[x3d-public] X3D meeting 10 May 2019: Web3D 2019 conference submissions

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Mon May 13 16:55:50 PDT 2019

On 5/10/2019 10:14 AM, Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) wrote:
> [...]
> ==================================
>
> 3. *Finalize Web3D 2019 submissions*
>
> Brief discussion to resolve final questions.
>
> a. X3D Semantic Web Workshop.  We decided to reserve an hour on morning of Friday 26 JUL 2019 on the workshop day immediately preceding the formal Web3D 2019 Conference.  Registration will not be required, attendance is open, a zoom channel will be provided for both audio and video.

submitted

> b. X3D Quickstart.  A 30-minute summary for new attendees will be provided based on AMIA tutorial.  This is a good opportunity for someone other than usual suspects to provide a welcoming big picture.
> 	http://www.web3d.org/web3d-quickstart
> 	http://www.web3d.org/sites/default/files/page/Web3D%20Quickstart/Web3D%20Quickstart_Polys_AMIA2019.pdf

submitted

> c. X3Dv4 Implementations Tutorial. This would be a summary of all implementation assets for X3Dv4.  Prior knowledge of X3D is expected to follow what is saying.  The tutorial will start with a summary from past Web3D conferences with a brief overview of various specifications involved, and the X3Dv4 design process.  Wherever possible the primary implementer will provide summary slides, otherwise Don will cover it.  Expected outcome is that participants and those using the tutorial afterwards will be to focus, engage and use whichever aspect of X3Dv4 they are interested in.  This sets the stage for continued cooperative implementation work through December, which is the deadline for submissions to X3Dv4.

Submitted abstract:
X3D Version 4 (x3dv4) is a major upgrade to the Extensible 3D (X3D) Graphics International Standard that aligns with W3C Recommendations for HTML5 and Document Object Model (DOM). This is major work in progress, driven by the X3D Graphics Working Group with regular community outreach.  This session provides a current-draft specification overview along with all X3Dv4 implementation assets.

X3D is always evolving, and the Web3D Consortium Standards Strategy carefully guides all these improvements.  X3D Version 4 enables authors to publish interactive 3D content anywhere on the Web, without restrictions or plugins.  Next-generation evolution + revolution is combined with archival compatibility of existing legacy content.

Prior knowledge of X3D is recommended for attendees. Design and diverse X3D components are summarized including physically based materials and advanced lighting, 3D scanning and printing support, advanced Humanoid Animation (HAnim), glTF import, etc.  Wherever possible, primary implementers will provide a first-person summary.  Multiple file encodings and language bindings include XML JSON ClassicVRML EcmaScript Java C C++ C# Python thanks to the X3D Unified Object Model X3DUOM.

Expected outcome is that participants and those using the session materials afterwards will be able to focus, engage and implement all aspect of X3Dv4.  Cooperative implementation work continues through December 2019 deadline for submissions to X3Dv4.

X3Dv4 has unmatched potential for unlocking any 3D graphics in a durable interactive way on the Web.  Now is the time for early adopters to engage in this rapidly maturing capability.

Overview, progress reports and preceding tutorials:
- http://www.web3d.org/x3dv4
- http://www.web3d.org/x3dv4-implementations
- http://www.web3d.org/wiki/index.php/X3D_version_4.0_Development

- HTML5 DOM interoperability