[x3d-public] 5th? in a series on the rise and demise Controller Centered Computing

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Tue May 14 16:41:25 PDT 2019

Model-View-Controller (from Smalltalk)  Discussion aka
Storage-Output-Input-Processing

Very boring, except for passive ambient input discussion (non-command controllers).

So this is stepping up a level into systems of paradigms (paradigms being view, controller, model, and processing) so around 14-15 in the hierarchy of complexity, 16 being max’ed out. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_of_hierarchical_complexity#Stages_of_hierarchical_complexity

Review:
       View/Output components
       	Dimension 0-2
			Pixel
			Letter
			Shape

Review and Expand:
       Controller/Input Device components
		Typical:
			Individual
				https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Input_device (too many to list here)
				Physical Motion (yawl, roll, dive)
				Medical Devices (is there a group?)
				Presence/Location
				Leap Motion
       Group
				Social Forums/Chat/Voice/Video
       Video of Sports Games
       Corporation input
		Atypical:
			Individual
				Emotional Energy
					Fear
					Anxiety
					Love
				Thinking
				Therapy Robot input
			Group
				DynamicLand
				Kinect
New:
	Model/Storage components
		Primitive Types
			Boolean
			Number
			Letter
			Pointer/Reference/Address
			Frequency
			Wavelength
			Temperature
		Structured Types
			Unordered Map (object)
			Ordered Map (array, list, function, grid, uri)
			Graph (network, DAG, Hypergraph)
			Date/Time
			Blood Pressure
			Pulse
New category, but previously covered
       Processing/Generators
       		Loop
			Procedural
			Hyper
			Stochastic
			Chaotic
			Quantum
Not sure where this fits
			Meta

So controllers are moving away from typical to atypical inputs. Controller input *might* be converted into commands.  I am trying to deal with the cases where controller input is NOT converted to commands.   Can we list them?   What do we call controller input which isn’t commands?  Is there a term for it?  Ambient input?  Here’s a use of the term: https://blog.joshlewis.org/2007/03/22/passive-ambient-input/
How do we collect and analyze these inputs? Your feedback on these subjects (research papers welcome) is desired.  Jeffrey Allen suggested that computers might move into the background, nearly invisible, and things might work off of gestures.

How might X3D create a sensor for passive ambient input that is processed in a non-event fashion, except when some condition is met. What design might we implement for passive ambient input?   One example might be to lower the output from the stereo when I’m talking on the phone.  Constrained input might be a term for it that is more typical. How might constrained input be implemented with Sensors (no I haven’t read the standard!)