[x3d-public] Forgive me; thanks + cross-language support status

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Mon May 27 20:06:50 PDT 2019

John, many thanks for your many essential efforts.

I'll continue to proceed conservatively and deliberately with X3DJSAIL/X3DPSAIL efforts, XML schemas and .  It is better that the stability of that tree is maintained and improves incrementally, matching our capabilities.  Keeping things clear is hard enough with the things that work, am trying to at least "do no harm" and avoid possibile future snarls.

Goal is to create our first X3D Python implementation.  As ever, am further keen to keep adding best design patterns to X3DJSAIL.

Here is a summary of our cross-language efforts:

a. We currently have excellent consistency with .x3d .x3dv .json .java representations.

b. We currently have good and improving consistency with .py representation.

c. We currently have good drafts of .json schema and are likely to track along with its ultimate IETF standardization.

d. We expect to gain .c .cpp .cs initial implementations (C, C++ and C# programs) at the Web3D conference, possibly working on a second C-based Python implementation at that point too.

e. We currently have good .js support with X3DJSONLD.  It would be interesting to try testing in node.js for all X3D Examples, and also try a second implementation using Java nashorn via X3DJSAIL.  Perhaps later in the summer.

f. We are adding a second EXI compression implementation to X3DJAIL.  Tested C++ versions of the Exificient and OpenEXI libraries also exist.  Next for Java versions is EXI cross-tool validation is accomplished for X3D (matching separate work done in W3C).

g. After EXI expect to update support for XML Encryption and XML Authentication standards, updating existing work already found in X3D-Edit.

Clearly we are progressing on all fronts to make X3D work equivalently in all of these many file encodings and programming languages.  Onward we go.

	X3D Specification Relationships
	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3dSpecificationRelationships.png