[x3d-public] X3D agenda 4 OCT 2019: X3D-glTF feature table, proposed Annotations changes, #X3Dv4 implementations/issues update

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Oct 3 17:27:47 PDT 2019

The X3D Graphics Working Group addresses all X3D specification issues and coordinates the technical development of future improvements.
	http://www.web3d.org/working-groups/x3d

Members and invited experts are welcome.  We are an open organization. Please let us know if you have an important topic to present or discuss.

Each week we report out both public and member-only information - membership has value.  To become a Web3D Consortium member:
	Join the Web3D Consortium
	http://www.web3d.org/join

Teleconference information appears below.

==================================

1. Agenda check

==================================

2. *glTF*. Any questions from last week, minutes looked like excellent discussion/progress on X3D loading glTF.

Follow-on TODO: update feature-comparison table.Would anyone like to lead this review update?

> * Attachment [3]: glTF X3D Features Comparison (3 NOV 2017)
>    https://www.web3d.org/sites/default/files/page/X3D%20Version%204%20Strategy/glTfX3dFeaturesComparison.pdf
>
> * source at
>    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12ebxqfQoFPuNhaz8wZkNE6G-w_bqt98iy6p5F9IazVM/edit#gid=0

==================================

3. *Annotations*.  Review Annotations component modifications posting, see if it is understood

	[x3d-public] X3Dv4 Annotation Component revision, request review
	http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-September/011260.html

Refinement of key questions:

a. What is the scope of an annotation?  Does it affect it's parent, i.e. peers and their childen?  For example, how would you annotate an IFS if the annotation can only get inserted into scene graph as a peer of the containing Shape node?

b. Can we move url field to 42.3.1 X3DAnnotationNode and then omit 42.4.6 URLAnnotation?  This refactoring would simply overall design, and allow any annotation to be either local (children) or external (via url).

c. Text annotation might be plain text, styled text (HTML fragment or possibly markdown), XML, etc.

d. Can we better rename 42.4.3 GroupAnnotation node as InlineAnnotation or ModelAnnotation?  (The name GroupAnnotation is ambiguous and seems to imply that it is grouping annotations themselves.)  Note this is directly related to scoping question.

e. Can we better rename 42.4.4 IconAnnotation as ImageAnnotation? (The term "icon" implies characteristics such as small size or mostly square, but the node had no such restriction.)

f. Examples are definitely needed.  Prototypes are certainly possible here to show node design working coherently.

g. Conceivably this might be legitimately deferred to X3Dv4.1 because correct use of annotations is quite important in XR and MAR contexts.  But it seems close and if done right, the annotations would work satisfactorily with any user-interface modality.

==================================

4. *X3D Implementations*. Review and update page.

	X3Dv4 Implementations Status
	http://www.web3d.org/x3dv4-implementations

==================================

5. *Issues Inventory*.  Mantis review, have we tagged all relevant issues as #X3Dv4 ?

	Mantis Issue Tracker
	https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php

==================================

6. Teleconference update

We have switched to Zoom channel, to good effect.  It allows use of internet audio, screen sharing and chat with links.

We meet regularly on Fridays 0800-0930 pacific.  To join the teleconference:
	Web3D Teleconference
	http://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

* Friday          08-1000 pacific, Join URL https://zoom.us/j/148206572 for X3D Working Group

One tap mobile
* US (New York) +19292056099,,148206572 #
* US (San Jose) +16699006833,,148206572 #

Dial by your location, using (nine-digit number from Join URL above)

* US (New York) +1 929 205 6099
* US (San Jose) +1 669 900 6833

----