[x3d-public] X3Dv4 Annotation Component revision, request review

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Sat Sep 14 16:43:03 PDT 2019

Attached please find a review of X3Dv4 Annotation Component.

The current version is in github version control.  The SIGGRAPH 2019 version can be found at

	X3Dv4 Draft Specification available to public now!
	https://www.web3d.org/news-story/x3dv4-draft-specification-available-public-now

	X3Dv4 Public Working Draft Specification
	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD1/

	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD1/Part01/Architecture.html

	X3D Annotation Component
	http://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD1/Part01/components/annotation.html

Here are some key questions:

a. Can we move url field to 42.3.1 X3DAnnotationNode and then omit 42.4.6 URLAnnotation?

b. Can we better rename 42.4.3 GroupAnnotation node as InlineAnnotation or ModelAnnotation?  (The name GroupAnnotation is ambiguous and seems to imply that it is grouping annotations themselves.

c. Can we better rename 42.4.4 IconAnnotation as ImageAnnotation? (The term "icon" implies characteristics such as small size or mostly square, but the node had no such restriction.)

d. Examples needed.

All feedback welcome.  Please provide initial comments prior to next X3D teleconference Friday 14 SEP.  Once we have names sorted out OK, am ready to pursue DTD Schema Tooltips, prototype stubs, github spec revision, and initial implementation in X3DJSAIL Java and X3DPSAIL Python.