[x3d-public] X3D Working Group Agenda 28 OCT 2019: X3Dv4 issues review

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Oct 18 03:33:55 PDT 2019

==================================

The X3D Graphics Working Group addresses all X3D specification issues and coordinates the technical development of future improvements.
	http://www.web3d.org/working-groups/x3d

Members and invited experts are welcome.  We are an open organization. Please let us know if you have an important topic to present or discuss.

Each week we report out both public and member-only information - membership has value.  To become a Web3D Consortium member:
	Join the Web3D Consortium
	http://www.web3d.org/join

Teleconference information appears below.

==================================

1. *Agenda check*.  What else, please?

Recent minutes:

[1] [x3d-public] X3D minutes 11 OCT 2019: Web3DUX, semantics progress, implementations status, mantis issues, texture/material, X3D-Edit
       http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-October/011347.html

[2] [x3d-public] X3D minutes 4 OCT 2019: X3D-glTF review, defer Annotations, Layout component, #X3Dv4 implementations/issues update
       http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-October/011315.html

> * X3DOM conversation
>    https://github.com/x3dom/x3dom/issues/993
>
> * X_ITE conversation
>    https://github.com/create3000/x_ite/issues/50

Is this driving to closure satisfactorily? Are precise changes expected for X3Dv4?

We must have consistent rendering well defined.

==================================

3. *Carryover issue: features and nodes*

> b. X3DOM and X_ITE have added some navigation types and other special features.  Some features will also be part of SAI, for example getting screen-space coordinates.  We need to expose these inside any X3D model so that authors work to best effect with HTML5.  These need to be considered and proposed publicly to get on the X3D Working Group agenda prior to 16 DEC 2019.
>
> The community has to live with the results... the community should *Step Up to Help* !!  This is a real opportunity for authors and implementers to speak out, helping to elevate important new candidate capabilities.

Nobody has stepped up yet.  Navigation types and other geometry nodes sure seem like low-hanging fruit.

Seems like a real opportunity for someone to unlock major latent improvements for future authors and users.

Am willing to spend meeting time to review once a suggestion list has been posted publicly.

==================================

4. *X3Dv4 Issues Review*

We will go though the Mantis issues tracker to assign tags to issues that need to be tracked as part of X3Dv4 efforts.

[3] Mantis Issue Tracker (requires 2 sets of member login)
     https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php

[4] X3D Version 4 Overview
     https://www.web3d.org/X3D4

[5] X3Dv4 Highlights
     http://www.web3d.org/x3dv4-highlights

[6] X3Dv4 Implementations Status
     http://www.web3d.org/x3dv4-implementations

==================================

5. *Teleconference Information*

We have switched to Zoom channel, to good effect.  It allows use of internet audio, screen sharing and chat with links.

We meet regularly on Fridays 0800-0930 pacific.  To join the teleconference:
	Web3D Teleconference
	http://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

* Friday          08-1000 pacific, Join URL https://zoom.us/j/148206572 for X3D Working Group

One tap mobile
* US (New York) +19292056099,,148206572 #
* US (San Jose) +16699006833,,148206572 #

Dial by your location, using (nine-digit number from Join URL above)

* US (New York) +1 929 205 6099
* US (San Jose) +1 669 900 6833

Lots of effort continues.  Only 7 weeks left until we close the X3Dv4 contributions window on 16 DEC 2019.

[7] Sounds of doors slamming
     http://www.findsounds.com/ISAPI/search.dll?keywords=door+slam

Please consider how you are helping... there are things TODO for everyone.