[x3d-public] X3D agenda 20 SEP 2019: X3DMetadataObject/X3DUOM, specs diagram update, annotations, field naming

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Sep 19 13:41:22 PDT 2019

Here is agenda for X3D Working Group meeting Friday 20 SEP, 08-0930 pacific.  (Connection information below.)

Attendees:  Web3D Consortium members + invited experts. (Are you ready to volunteer? We are moving out smartly.)
Recent meeting minutes:

* [x3d-public] XX3D minutes 6 SEP 2019: DICOM discussion, overview diagram review, ISO meeting highlights, API progress, defer STL/OBJ support
     http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-September/011251.html

* [x3d-public] X3D Working Group minutes 21 AUG 2019: glTF X3D specification Plan Of Action Milestones (POAM)
     http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-August/011232.html

---

Topics:

0. Progress and problem reports.  What else is new?!  8)

---

1. (from prior meeting) X3Dv4 DICOM Profile with OBJ support proposed on medical working group mailing list, discussed in CAD Design Printing Scanning meeting.
[...]
*Resolution* - we agreed to clearly focus our X3Dv4 efforts: confirmed yes to glTF, but no to STL and OBJ unless someone outside the core implementers takes the time to provide commonly usable converters and specification prose.

Subsequent discussion on today's Design Printing Scanning call indicated that this remains a desirable possibility that can be considered in the future.  Creating a Javascript-based X3D prototype that can work in X3DOM and X_ITE is a good way to proceed.

Still TODO: Don will update Mantis regarding STL/OBJ and Dick will review on next editors call.

---

2. Email report on X3DUOM

	[x3d-public] X3DMetadataObject refactoring for X3D XML Schema, X3DUOM, X3DJSAIL and X3D Ontology progress
	http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-September/011265.html

A significant and subtle twist was unravelled in that X3DMedataObject is simply an interface and should not inherit from abstract node type X3DNode.

This simplifies several constructs in X3DUOM, XML Schema, and derived APIs.  There may be some further positive impacts on Shader and Layout nodes, further analysis to follow.

Hopefully unremarkable, no changes to content are expected.  Review comments please.

---

3. (from prior meeting) Takamatsu meeting quicklook.

> - Humanoid Animation (HAnim) approvals by ISO editors, defenestration of hyphenization for enumeration *HAnim*.
> - Medical progress: representing human organs using HAnim, big strategy is possible, HL7 collaboration.
> - Smart Cities opportunities abound in future: X3D as connection and presentation layer for many things.
> - ISO requested to go open on Mixed Augmented Reality (MAR) specifications.  Bodes well for X3Dv4.1.
> - Khronos cooperative dialog and activity continues well.
> - Reopened issue: Vince and Don are following up on JTC1 joint group on 3D printing and scanning.
>
> Expect to distribute a number of meeting materials following discussion and review by Web3D Board of Directors.  Membership has value! 8)

Release of reports pending following BoD review.

---

4. Standards Relationships diagram - proposed update review, see attached comparison in last weeks agenda.

Just refinements, no major changes.  Flipping in full-screen mode makes differences easy to compare.

No review comments received, expect to approve and publish following final discussion.

---

5. /Field name changes/ for improved consistency, affects child SF/MFNode field naming for ~10 nodes.

	Potential future changes for improved consistency of field names
	https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dSceneAuthoringHints.html#fieldNameChanges

These changes are necessary variations on X3Dv4 syntax proposed to avoid unintended mismatches and achieve unified field representations in X3Dv4.

Primary discussion topic this week.

---

6. *glTF X3D Features Comparison*. Would anyone like to lead this review update?

> * Attachment [3]: glTF X3D Features Comparison (3 NOV 2017)
>    https://www.web3d.org/sites/default/files/page/X3D%20Version%204%20Strategy/glTfX3dFeaturesComparison.pdf
>
> * source at
>    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12ebxqfQoFPuNhaz8wZkNE6G-w_bqt98iy6p5F9IazVM/edit#gid=0

Comparison task still available for a glTF-X3D user.

---

7. Annotations component*.  Node refactoring for clarity and conciseness proposed, spec prose changes posted.  Request feedback.

	[x3d-public] X3Dv4 Annotation Component revision, request review
	http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2019-September/011260.html
---

8. *X3Dv4 topics*

	X3Dv4 Implementations Status
	http://www.web3d.org/x3dv4-implementations

a. /API Progress Review/ with special thanks to Masaki Aono and Myeong Won Lee.

> Status of Web3D drafts and submissions to ISO:
>
> * We do have NWIPs and prior draft documents at
>    https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D/tree/master/ISO-IEC19777
>
> * Specification timeline spreadsheet
>    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GdVcjQIid0Hohc_ajmepVOESy2sLtHSVvbvsFni89w8/edit#gid=1641828106
>
> We have sent a query to Dr. Myeong Won Lee to see if she is already working on updating the existing drafts.

No response noted.  Dick please advise.

> This was covered well at meetings of Web3D Korea Chapter last January and at SIGGRAPH last July.  TODO: get those slides online in a good place.

Standing by.

---

9. *Getting Connected*

Recently Web3D meetings have switched to Zoom channels, to good effect.  Zoom allows use of internet audio, screen sharing, and chat with links.

We meet regularly on Fridays 0800-0930 pacific.  Connection information is available for members on the following page.

	Web3D Members: Teleconference Information
	https://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

The X3D Graphics Working Group addresses all X3D specification issues and coordinates the technical development of future improvements.
	https://www.web3d.org/working-groups/x3d

Each week we report out both public and member-only information - membership has value.  To become a Web3D Consortium member:
	Join the Web3D Consortium
	https://www.web3d.org/join

---

Have fun with X3D!  8)