[x3d-public] Getting as far as X3DOM and X_ITE did on the server

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 13:34:17 PDT 2020

It would appear that we could somewhat easily support X3DOM's DOM interface
on the server, as I've tested these sorts of things when converting X_ITE
SAI to X3DOM.  However, I haven't tried converting script found in the
standards.

X3DOM's DOM interface is not typesafe.  X_ITE's SAI is somewhat typesafe.

I heard somewhere that EAI was combined with SAI?  Does anyone have SAI
running on the server (besides me, I barely have some scripts running
converted from SAI)?

https://github.com/coderextreme/X3DJSONLD/tree/master/src/main/ppp

See JS code (larger than 6000 bytes) in folder above.  You'll see a lot of
boilerplate at the top, especially the .good.js files.  These files were
created in my Script.js JavaScript file.  Only the .good.js files work when
executed by node.

My tendency would be to provide an SAI (stuck in the browser) mode, or move
away from SAI to more of DOM stack, using my SAI converter to X3DOM
(Script.js).  However, we may need some heavy duty JS programmers (parsing
JS), more than just someone who knows how to do regular expressions.

Do we have any ECMAScript code running on the server which does not use
X3DJSAIL that we can leverage?  I have a lot of conversion code.   Can we
leverage my skills to produce tests for ECMAScript-SAI-X3DOM-Server?

More research about puppeteer interface to Chrome is desired.

Note that I've stayed away from the DOM interface, because I've only heard
that 2 browsers support it.   Are there more?

Speaking of HHGTTG, I have 84 generated.js files, 42 that work, and 42 that
don't.  Coincidence?  I'm expecting the Vogons (nurses) at any moment!

What is the best way to support ECMAScript SAI on the server?