[x3d-public] X3D working group meeting 14 AUG 2020: status conference, webinars, X3DCSAIL, ISO, X3D4

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Aug 14 09:45:31 PDT 2020

Regular weekly meeting.  TGIF: Thank Goodness It's Friday!

Attendees.  Anita Havele, Dick Puk and Don Brutzman.  Regrets Vince Marchetti (at Web3D 2020 Conference Cochairs meeting).

Confirmed no member-only information is included in these minutes.

---

1. X3D Activity

Prior minutes:

[0] [x3d-public] X3D minutes (1 August 2020): Inline refresh, https, description; X3DUrlObject: glTF support
     https://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2020-August/thread.html

(Apologies for date error in original post, now corrected.)

---

a. CADExchanger adds import to export support.

[1] #X3D support in @CADExchanger SDK 3.8.1:
     new version supports not only export but also import of #X3D.
     Now possible to view and explore the files and convert them to
     #VRML, OBJ, STL, and many other formats.
     https://twitter.com/Web3DConsortium/status/1293929673416511488

Onward we go!

---

b. Web3D 2020 Conference has received 4 dozen paper submissions.  Paper reviews in progress, please contact program chairs if you want to help.

[2.1] Web3D 2020 Conference, Virtual Event
       https://www.web3d.org/event/web3d-2020-conference-virtual-event

[2.2] Web3D 2020 Conference Website links:
       http://2020.web3dconference.org and
       https://web3d.or.kr

---

c. Web3D Webinars getting placed online.  Presentations are online, video post-production is mostly complete, tons of great information is available online.

[3] Web3D Webinar Series
     https://www.web3d.org/webinars

Upcoming deadlines:
https://2020.web3dconference.org/important-dates

* Paper/poster acceptance: September 7, 2020
* Tutorial and workshop submission: September 12, 2020
* Industrial use cases submission: September 19, 2020
* Standards session submission: September 19, 2020
* Camera-ready paper/poster: September 21, 2020
* Demonstration submission: September 26, 2020
* Tutorial/workshop/demonstration/industrial use cases acceptance: October 12, 2020
* HAnim competition submission: October 12, 2020

---

d. Web3D Consortium Booth hours during SIGGRAPH 2020:

*On Demand Exhibitor Session Title: Web3D: Business Critical Interactive 3D Applications*

	Tuesday, 25 August, 9am – 10:30am PST and 3pm – 5:30 PST
	Wednesday, 26 August, 9am – 10:30am PST and 3pm – 5:30 PST
	Thursday, 27 August,9am  – 10:30am PST and 3pm – 5:30 PST

Description. Web3D Consortium's X3D ISO-standard has broad adoption internationally and across different industries. From design, engineering, science, training to healthcare, X3D (VRML Successor) is deployed for numerous mission/business critical applications. Web3D's goal is to enable diverse economies through the interoperability and durability of interactive 3D information. Learn about our member use cases.

---

2. X3D4 Progress

[4.1] X3D Version 4 Overview
       https://www.web3d.org/x3d4

[4.2] X3Dv4 Draft Specification available to public now!
       https://www.web3d.org/news-story/x3dv4-draft-specification-available-public-now

[4.3] X3D4 Highlights
       http://www.web3d.org/x3dv4-highlights

[4.4] X3D4 Implementations Status
       http://www.web3d.org/x3dv4-implementations

[4.5] X3D Version 4 Draft: Ready for Early Adoption! presentation
       https://www.web3d.org/sites/default/files/page/X3D%20Version%204%20Overview/X3dVersion4Siggraph2020Brutzman.2020August3.pdf

Next week we will review X3D4 Implementations page.  Update information by implementers is welcome.

---

3. X3D Programming Language Bindings for C/C++/C#

There is renewed interest in pursuing X3D implementations in C, C++ and C# programming languages.

Summary of plans and possibilities, building on 2018 strategy which continues to slowly percolate.

[5] C/C++/C# X3DSAIL
     http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2020-August/013403.html

We discussed whether C-related language bindings can support scripting.  If they can only support external access, that should be noted in the language binding.  Many languages have added on-the-fly compilation, we need to look further at that.

We also discussed how abstract SAI Architecture was designed to handle both Script nodes internal to X3D scene graph, as well as standalone X3D usage.  It will be interesting to see if SAI specification might need some additions to support all the functionality available in X3D4 and these other programming languages.

TODO:
- schedule meeting with Dr. Myeong Won Lee to review her contributions and draft specification,
- Don will help match best patterns to autogeneration of those codebases, and
- Most important: we are looking for C/C++/C# gurus who can comment and possibly improve the SAI design patterns.

---

4. Coming up.

a. X3D Physically Based Rendering PBR review with Michalis Kamburelis.  Close look at specification prose and Inline.
b. X3D Sound Component and Web Audio API: updated examples, building audio graph with Efi Lakka and Thanos Malamos.
c. X3D C/C++/C# Bindings with Myeong Won Lee.
d. X3DOM implementation support for Prototype and Script (x3dscript?) with Andreas Plesch, then
e. harmonize/document X3DOM/X_ITE approaches in writeup for X3D4/HTML5 integration.
f. Possible HAnim Next workshop as part of Web3D 2020 Conference, adding human internal organs and facial expressions.
    Hoping to line up work for delivery next summer.
g. How to incorporate X3DUOM and X3D Ontology prose in X3D set of standards.

---

5. ISO SC24 Annual Meeting

Nearly complete.  Drafting final resolutions today, final plenary Monday, reports to Web3D Board (and eventually public) to follow.  Dick Puk is our Working Group 6 convener, Myeong Won Lee is SC24 chair, I am Web3D Consortium Liaison, multiple other Web3D Consortium members are also attending as part of their respective national bodies.

---

Thanks for all efforts.  Have fun with X3D!  8)