[x3d-public] Some screenshots with PhysicalMaterial and glTF

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Mar 6 17:12:10 PST 2020

P.S. Just to clarify my "experiment, compare how the FlightHelmet
looks like" in the previous mail:

This was not a fair comparison.

To show the FlightHelmet in Phong version, I just removed the
"PhysicalMaterial.metallicRoughnessTexture", and then used
"PhysicalMaterial.baseTexture" as a "Material.diffuseTexture". IOW,
for diffuse I used a texture that was never supposed to be diffuse. A
proper "conversion" from PhysicalMaterial -> (Phong) Material should
be done by a graphic artist, who would adjust the colors of the
"Material.diffuseTexture" image, and use other Material textures (like
Material.specularTexture, which I also added in my PR).

So don't treat it as a "proof" that PhysicalMaterial (PBR)
automagically looks better than Material (Phong) lighting model :)
It's not so simple to compare.

The "fair" comparison is hard, because these models just expose
different parameters, and a fair comparison should involve a graphic
artist who spends equal time to "tweak" these parameters in both
cases, to achieve the best possible look.

Regards,
Michalis

sob., 7 mar 2020 o 01:56 Michalis Kamburelis