[x3d-public] Finding more than one use of a DEF in VRML

Joseph D Williams joedwil at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 26 19:50:30 PDT 2020

➢ Also should browsers have a default internal human, like we have teapot?

Not in the browse. Well, maybe a very simple avatar often proposed but not so far.
Actually, look at the hanim spec at web3d.org and a great link in another message, and see that what we have done is to present a ‘standard’ humanoid with ‘standard’ measurements. Together with joint centers and site locations you can build an animatable humanoid for yourself using the example in Annex A, substituting yours or any others measurements. If you were doing an authoring tool, you might use this or more evolved version for your basic skeleton. Tools like maya and 3dmax have had an example primate model (very close to x3d hanim loa2) for 25 years.

So, to see this standard model just copy paste the loa4 with markers at joint centers and see what you get.
I’m looking again and makehuman soon and I’m not sure why there is no animation, Maybe they are just doing the skin and some sort of scaling /deformation to make the model change. Whatever, it is great work. As for x3d hanim, (and I will report back) but there is nothing they are doing that can’t be done with x3d hanim. Look in medical examples for an example skin. Chisel that skin down to usable animatable density …

Moreover, without much study you will see that the one thing that makehuman has that x3d does not have built in or official examples of is great example skins and accessories. Next, we need to integrate the realistic skeleton with a reasonable skin. We need an example skin with about 500 to 750 vertices, and one with about 1500 to 2000. There are two examples of animated hanim in examples, the boxman and the kicker. Most available I think that would be enough for some fine work, For internals,  using medical wg nodes anywhere great detail is needed. It all fits together.

Thanks,
Joe