[x3d-public] displayBBox, ES6 SAI, Browser API for SAI?

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sat May 16 23:59:11 PDT 2020

On Sat, May 16, 2020 at 8:36 PM Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu> wrote:

> I recommend that we rename displayBBox to bboxDisplay so that it is more
> consistent (familiar, searchable etc.) with bboxCenter and bboxSize.
>
> How about I make that naming change next weekend, or sooner if anyone
> wants.

Aye, that sounds okay.  Build script ready to go and checked in for
X3DJSONLD (does anyone want to test? run sh build.sh in top level folder),
but no hurry.  Others will follow as demand requires (pythonSAI will
probably be very soon after, since that's where I keep X3DJSAIL jars).
Other high value changes may be x3dvalidate (requires updates to Schema).

I would say as soon as you can, but no fumbles.

If there's time pressure, I would encourage any updates required to
X3dToNodeJS.js (for node-X3DJSAIL) and X3dToES5.js (for nashorn-X3DJSAIL).
Higher priority than those would be a new X3dToES6.js for new ECMAScript 6
SAI (with classes and modules, TBD).  I don't know what ECMAScript we are
targeting with X3DV4 (comments?).  Potential ECMAScript module for X3D:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/coderextreme/conda/master/modules/x3d.mjs
App is here:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/coderextreme/conda/master/modules/app.mjs
As i am not that familiar with ES5 and ES6+, feedback is appreciated!  Of
particular importance is decisions on whether we want to use modules,
classes, import/export.

A design of a Browser class or module would be very appreciated, since I've
so far left that out (see VRMLScriptSerializer.js in x3d-code/
www.web3d.org/x3d/stylesheets/vrmlscript)  The VRMLScriptSerializer.js
follows along the lines of the existing (non-standard) ECMAScript SAI
(X_ITE SAI), so no brain matter is required, just following examples. There
are some issues, like having to run code inside a browser (for now).
Ideally, SAI Browser could be used with both X3DOM and X_ITE (but it's a
bit beyond me...puppeteer?).