[x3d-public] [x3dom-users] Whither protoexpander in X3DOM? umm, just define input-to-output and write code

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Tue May 26 20:00:21 PDT 2020

As discussed Monday: Prototype Expander may have general value, but primary need is adding Prototype support to X3DOM.

Recommend scrapping all options as distracting alternative future work.

Simply focus on the X3DOM prize in JavaScript.  Path to get there is a straight line:

1. Concept: ProtoDeclare is a template definition, ProtoInstance creates a scene subgraph.

2. Thus the only resulting code of interest looks like X3DOM scene subgraph.

3. Collect and create corresponding pairs of (a) inputs (ProtoDeclare/ProtoInstance) and (b) outputs (X3DOM scene subgraph).

4. The ProtoExpander is native X3DOM javascript code reads 3(a) and creates 3(b).

====================

That's it.  No really.

Recommended first model for input/output inventory: ArtDeco00, which is a simple Material node.

* https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/UniversalMediaMaterials/ArtDecoPrototypesIndex.html
* https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/UniversalMediaMaterials/ArtDecoPrototypes.json
* https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/UniversalMediaMaterials/ArtDecoExamplesIndex.html
* https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/UniversalMediaMaterials/ArtDecoExamples.json

JSON input

{ "ProtoDeclare":
   {
     "@name":"ArtDeco00",
     "@appinfo":"UniversalMediaMaterials prototype",
     "@documentation":"https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/UniversalMediaMaterials",
     "ProtoBody": {
         "-children":[
           { "Material":
             {
               "@ambientIntensity":0.25,
               "@diffuseColor":[0.282435,0.085159,0.134462],
               "@shininess":0.127273,
               "@specularColor":[0.276305,0.11431,0.139857]
             }
           }
         ]
     }
   }
},

JSON result of interest:

           { "Material":
             {
               "@ambientIntensity":0.25,
               "@diffuseColor":[0.282435,0.085159,0.134462],
               "@shininess":0.127273,
               "@specularColor":[0.276305,0.11431,0.139857]
             }

First draft of converter: extract everything inside ProtoBody, ignore the rest.

So you are now halfway to first example.  If that is how JSON says it in JavaScript, how does X3DOM say it in JavaScript?

If still puzzled, here is a second-opinion point of comparison: how does X_ITE say it?

Have fun with X3D JavaScript, I hope...