[x3d-public] ProtoInstance USE without name

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 15:00:57 PST 2020

Looking at why the old Prototypes for HAnim did not work properly for
x3dom, I found that the xml examples typically have a ProtoInstance
statement with a USE attribute but without the corresponding name attribute
defining the actual node type. However, x3dom expects a name attribute with
every ProtoInstance statement, even USE ones, to be able to insert the
appropriate node.

The xml spec  at

https://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19776-1/V3.3/Part01/concepts.html#ProtoInstanceAndFieldValueStatement

does not address USE of ProtoInstances but all examples always have a name
attribute.

Also, in my quite extensive testing of Protos, I did not come across other
examples of ProtoInstance elements without a name attribute.

To be fair, the name attribute is not strictly necessary for USE
ProtoInstances since the type of the inserted node can be determined from
the referenced DEF node. But having the name attribute makes ProtoInstance
elements more similar to regular nodes. So I think not requiring the name
attribute for USE ProtoInstances should be explicitly allowed in the xml
spec., but still be encouraged.

I do not think the xml spec. would be otherwise affected by V.4 ?

Best, Andreas

--
Andreas Plesch
Waltham, MA 02453