[x3d-public] X3D Working Group agenda 9 OCT 2020: preparations for voting on release of X3D4 specification

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Oct 9 07:19:14 PDT 2020

[Here is draft agenda for today's meeting]

Attendees:

TODO review: no member-restricted information is included in these minutes.

Participation:

[0.1] Web3D Teleconference Information
        https://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

> Please use the following link for all Web3D Consortium Meetings.
>
> Join URL: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81634670698?pwd=a1VPeU5tN01rc21Oa3hScUlHK0Rxdz09

Last week's minutes:

[0.2] [x3d-public] X3D minutes 2 OCT 2020: draft X3D4 Shape component, 3 approaches to X3D4 shadows, RenderingEnvironment node, audio concepts
       http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2020-October/013726.html

Web3D 2020 Conference registration is FREE and open, schedule continues getting released online.

[0.3] Web3D 2020 Conference registration
        https://web3d.siggraph.org

[0.4] blog entry "X3D in a Box"
        https://webx3d.org/box-of-x3d

---

1. *Timeline*

a. October. We are preparing for final review of X3D4 Working Draft 3 at the Web3D 2020 Conference, 9-13 November 2020.

b. November. Subsequent to broad scrutiny and public discussion, a vote by Web3D Consortium members will be conducted that X3D4 is ready to proceed with standardization.

c. December. Subject to approval by Web3D Consortium Board of Directors, X3D4 can then be submitted to ISO IEC/JTC 1/SC 24/ as Committee Draft (CD).

d. We plan to release WD3 and then CD versions publicly under Web3D Consortium copyright.

---

2. *Specification Tasks*

a. Editorial review of prose:  glTF and PBR-related components

b. Informative section on X3D4 HTML5 integration: embedded (as per X3DOM) or loaded (as per X_ITE).

c. Include author-definable shadow capability (e.g. shadowIntensity)?

d. Mantis review: all critical issues resolved?

---

3. *Validation Infrastructure*

a. X3D XML Schema, X3D DOCTYPE, X3D Unified Object Model

b. X3D Unified Object Model (X3DUOM)

c. X3D Java (X3DJSAIL) and X3D Python (X3DPSAIL)

d. JavaScript X3DJSONLD update?

e. X3D Tooltips (used by authors and tools)

f. X3D conversion stylesheets

g. X3D Regular Expressions (regexes)

h. X3D Tidy

i. X3D Validator

---

4. *Player Implementations*

a. X_ITE

b. X3DOM

c. Castle Game Engine (view3dscene)

d. FreeWrl

e. Other X3D4 applications of note?

---

5. *Documentation*

a. Reference pages

* https://www.web3d.org/x3d4

b. X3D4 Support Inventory Stylesheet

c. X3D Resources

d. X3D Scene Authoring Hints

---

6. *Examples*

a. Web3D Consortium's X3D Example Archives

b. glTF, PBR, NPR examples

c. Audio examples

d. Gap analysis

---

It will be good to discuss these today and ensure we have a thorough "game plan" for release.

All inputs welcome, have fun with X3D4!  8)