[x3d-public] X3D minutes, 5 FEB 2021: NWIP complete, WD3 finalization, CD submission to ISO

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Feb 5 10:52:20 PST 2021

X3D Weekly Meeting, 09-1000 Pacific time, Friday 5 FEB 2021.

This week we performed final review for X3D4 Committee Draft (CD) submission to ISO.

[0.1]	Web3D Teleconference Information
      	https://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

> Please use the following link for all Web3D Consortium Meetings.
>
> Join URL: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81634670698?pwd=a1VPeU5tN01rc21Oa3hScUlHK0Rxdz09

Confirmed that no Web3D Consortium member-only information is in these minutes.

Recent prior minutes:

[0.2]	[x3d-public] X3D minutes 29 JAN 2021: X3D4 Committee Draft (CD) submission nearly complete, all accepted changes published
      	https://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2021-January/014652.html

[0.3]	[x3d-public] X3D minutes 1 FEB 2021: X3D4 Committee Draft (CD) endgame
      	https://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2021-February/014668.html

Members of the X3D audio team (Efi Lakka, Thanos Malamos, yours truly) had an excellent briefing session describing X3D Sound improvements with the W3C Web Audio group yesterday.

---

1. New Work Item Proposal (NWIP)

We will review Dick's preparation of NWIP for ISO/IEC.  Updated draft attached.

Guiding reference are the ISO Directives

[1.0]	ISO/IEC Directives, part 1, technical work (Annex C of relevant interest)
     	https://www.iso.org/sites/directives/current/part1/index.xhtml

If additional information (for example from 21 DEC 2021 summary email) needs to be submitted, we might create a Web3D cover letter... that degree of detail is not necessary. We simply added:

* Additional information on X3D implementations, supporting tools and documentation is available at
   https://www.web3d.org/x3d4

Looking backwards and forwards: it has taken 8 years to go from X3D 3.3 to X3D 4.0 specification.  We expect ISO review and ratification to proceed expeditiously and formally finish by the end of the year.

---

2. Mantis issue resolution

a. Mantis 1329, added Inline global field:
    https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1329

Applied remaining change following spec editors call today:

SFBool [in,out] global FALSE

"The /global/ field controls whether lights contained in the Inline scene are allowed to have external lighting effects or not, according to 17.2.1.2 Scoping of lights."

[2.0]	X3D4 Architecture, Networking component, Inline
      	https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD3/Part01/components/networking.html#Inline

This will help authors remain "in charge" when larger scenes Inline lots and lots of secondary scenes... no unintended lighting "side effects" will occur unless the author of the parent Scene deliberately sets Inline global="true".  We are scaling up.  8)

---

b. Mantis 1339, missing alias correspondences for foot joints LOA-2/LOA-3 and LOA-4
    https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=1339

Further discussion finalized previous options.  LOA-2/LOA-3 values now match LOA-4 and are simply

        l_tarsometatarsal_2
        l_metatarsophalangeal_2
        l_tarsal_interphalangeal_2

        r_tarsometatarsal_2
        r_metatarsophalangeal_2
        r_tarsal_interphalangeal_2

Thus only change needed will be defect corrigendum for HAnim2 (which is proceeding separately), all X3D Specification work complete.

---

c. Mantis 1340, add Appearance alphaMode, alphaCutoff for consistency with glTF

resolved, matching glTF functionality precisely.

---

d. Mantis 1341, change 'solid' field (single-sided or double-sided rendering) to accessType inputOutput

resolved some time ago, updated mantis.

---

e. Mantis 1314: X3D4 HAnimHumanoid spelling of skinBindingCoords, skinBindingNormals

Removed "s" from these SFNode field names for clarity, HAnim naming defect remains as Mantis 1315.

Resulting field names skinBindingCoord, skinBindingNormal are all deployed in X3D XML Schema, DTD, X3DUOM, Tooltips, Java X3DJSAIL, Python X3DPSAIL, etc.

---

f.  TODO EnvironmentLight prose descriptions needed for node and field, Michalis and Don to finalize.

Finished this morning.  No radius field, that typically occurs via scoping.  The current submission is marked as subject to change, but it does correspond closely to the motivating glTF Image Based Lighting (IBL) with the addition of X3DLightNode and related fields.

[2.1]	17.4.2 EnvironmentLight
      	https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD3/Part01/components/lighting.html#EnvironmentLight

The "TODO" item is removed from WD3 spec, further discussion with Andreas et al. to continue with possible clarifications via mail list, no new showstoppers noted.  Ready to ship.

---

g. A number of other issues reviewed, revised, closed or deferred.  All changes applied to X3D XML Schema, DTD, X3DUOM, etc.  We appear to be cleared for takeoff...

Yes, confirmed.  Deployments in progress.

---

3. Latest W3D3 updated version online

The existing Working Draft 3 link now includes all ballot-resolution revisions, which are shown either in neon green or refined light-blue editors' Notes.

[3.0]	X3D4 Working Draft 3 (WD3)
      	https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD3/

---

4. Next steps

a. Post pristine version of WD3, relabeled as CD, together with NWIP document, to SC24
    (Dick and Don will accomplish this on Specification Editors call Monday 5 FEB).
b. Commit pristine copy as CD in Web3D-member-only github, that becomes our new baseline.
c. Finish X3D4 announcement press release next week.
d. Share announcements with Web3D Consortium, X3D community, and all liaison partners.
e. [reviewed, we have completed the other follow-on steps last week's minutes]

We discussed potential public release of "pristine" CD which is much more readable and final... We have also done this with all prior CD versions of X3D...

Web3D member early access to WD3/CD specification is now complete.  Future changes to CD (responding to ISO comments) during 2021 will remain a member value, with access via member github and mantis.

So... we decided to keep the colorized WD3 version, and also publish the clean CD version.  All will be updated this weekend and both sets of links will remain publicly available at

[4.0]	X3D4
      	https://www.web3d.org/x3d4
---

Are we done yet??  Yes!!  Let The Jubilation Begin...  Have fun with X3D!  8)