[x3d-public] X3D4 Audio minutes 6 JAN 2021: welcome back everyone, W3C Audio working group

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Jan 6 11:14:55 PST 2021

Attendees:  Efi Lakka, Athanasios Malamos, Dick Puk, Don Brutzman

We hope that everyone has enjoyed a safe and happy holiday with family and friends.

We agreed to meet Wednesdays at 10-1100 pacific weekly.

Regular Topics:
- W3C Audio Working Group
- Audio implementation in X3DOM, X_ITE
- Audio examples and tools

[0.1]	Web3D Teleconference Information
	https://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

> Please use the following link for all Web3D Consortium Meetings.
>
> Join URL: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81634670698?pwd=a1VPeU5tN01rc21Oa3hScUlHK0Rxdz09

Prior minutes:

[0.2]	[x3d-public] X3D4 Sound Component and MIDI 2.0 review: accepted for ballot, 2 DEC 2020
	http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2020-December/014188.html

Confirmed that no Web3D Consortium member-only information is in these minutes.

---

1. Review.  Our major work from 2021 is at

[1.1]	X3D4 Overview
   	https://web3d.org/x3d4

[1.2]	X3D4 Sound Component
	https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD3/Part01/components/sound.html

[1.3]	X3D Example Archives: X3D4AM, X3D for Advanced Modeling, Audio Spatial Sound
	https://x3dgraphics.com/examples/X3dForAdvancedModeling/AudioSpatialSound

[1.4]	Web3D 2020 paper: Extending X3D Realism with Audio Graphs, Acoustic Properties and 3D Spatial Sound
	Papers Session 4: November 12 @ 12:00 AM - 1:30 AM UTC
	https://web3d.siggraph.org/event/papers-session-4
	https://web3d.siggraph.org/extending-x3d-realism-audio-graphs-acoustic-properties-3d-spatial-sound/

[1.5]	Web3D 2020 Tutorial #5, X3D4 Sound and Audio
	https://web3d.siggraph.org/event/tutorial-5/
---

2. The W3C Audio working group is active with a long and excellent history.

[2.1]	W3C Audio Working Group repository
	https://github.com/WebAudio

[2.2]	W3C Audio Working Group home page
	https://www.w3.org/groups/wg/audio
"The mission of the Audio Working Group is to add advanced sound and music synthesis capabilities to the Open Web Platform."

[2.3]	W3C Audio Working Group Charter
	https://www.w3.org/2011/audio/charter/audio-2019.html

Their mailing list is public and found at

[2.4]	public-audio at w3.org Mail Archives
	https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-audio

We reviewed all participation requirements, then joined and confirmed that Efi, Thanos and Don are now listed as members.

Looks like they will resume meeting Thursdays at 9 am PST.  We will likely see an announcement soon.

p.s. Efi and Thanos: reportedly the W3C Audio Community Group is working on future capabilities.  I signed us up for that as well; not clear if they are active but it is good to be connected.

[2.5]	W3C AUDIO COMMUNITY GROUP
	https://www.w3.org/community/audio-comgp
"A group to gather and incubate new features and requirements for the Web Audio API. Making it easier for the community to engage with the Audio Working Group."

---

3. Upcoming post to W3C Audio group:

Don will excerpt from other X3D4 announcements and post a summary of our current activities to the W3C Audio mailing list.

Efi will followup on the mailing list with some highlights and discussion.

This liaison work between Web3D Consortium and World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) should be very valuable.

---

4. Status of Efi's X3DOM implementation additions: continuing improvements.

We can look at both code and examples as focus for next week's meeting.

Happy new year everyone.  Having fun (soon we hope) with X3D4 Audio!  8)