[x3d-public] X3D4 Audio minutes 13 JAN 2021: outline for W3C Audio working group outreach

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Jan 13 10:55:31 PST 2021

Attendees:  Athanasios Malamos, Dick Puk, Don Brutzman.  Regrets: Efi Lakka.

Prior minutes:

[0.1]	Re: X3D4 Audio minutes 6 JAN 2021: welcome back everyone, W3C Audio working group
	https://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2021-January/014404.html
---

1. W3D Audio Group meeting, 7 JAN 2021

Thanos was able to attend.  Summary:

- Excellent discussion of topics.
- This group is restricted to W3C member only (which includes Web3D Liaison personnel).
- Excellent technical depth, thoroughness, professionalism
- Issues are raised, discussed and resolved via github issues.
- Participants tend to be industry with real technical skills
- Thanos thinks that a short briefing will be excellent.
- Public mailing list includes minutes.

[1.1]	public-audio at w3.org Mail Archives
	https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-audio/

[1.2]	W3C Audio Working Group minutes
	"Re: [Agenda] WG/CG Telecon Thurs Jan 7 9:00 am PST"
	https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-audio/2021JanMar/0002.html

W3C has updated Patent Policy.

[1.2]	W3C Patent Policy, 15 September 2020
	https://www.w3.org/Consortium/Patent-Policy

"The W3C Patent Policy governs the handling of patents in the process of producing Web standards. The goal of this policy is to assure that Specifications produced under this policy can be implemented on a Royalty-Free (RF) basis."

Looking ahead:
- Don and Thanos can attend most weeks, varying
- We will provide summary message and offer to give a short summary to group when we each can attend

---

2. Outline for W3C Audio outreach

a. X3D4 specification summary, links, completely royalty free (RF)
b. Purpose of sound component: spatial sound, user interaction
c. Complete exposure of W3C Audio API as native nodes
d. Support for MIDI 2
e. Acoustics Properties to take advantage of 3D spatial nature,
f. Use cases taking advantage of
    - interactive user audio while navigating in 3D,
    - platform-independent operation both in Web browser and standalone applications,
    - recreate high-fidelity audio for actual and imagined locations,
    - emerging work: high-fidelity acoustics, material properties, etc.
g. Examples online
h. Multiple implementations emerging, multiple programming languages
i. Keen to understand important W3C Audio API issues like
    - multichannel output,
    - stream handling,
    - metadata conventions,
    - Semantic Web connections
j. Resources include recent paper, tutorial, video at Web3D 2020 Conference
k. Khronos glTF rendering and compression included X3D4
l. Future work likely to include XR and HRTF

Anything else?  More-specific use cases, perhaps?

I will write these up further and share.

---

We meet again next week.  Have fun with X3D Audio!  8)