[x3d-public] X3D meeting 2 July 2021: meeting plans, specification editing and availability, happy Independence Day - stay safe

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Fri Jul 2 11:44:11 PDT 2021

Attendees Anita Havele, Dick Puk, Don Brutzman.

Apologies for late start, my neighborhood had a power outage today.  Had a nice walk to the university where the grid was up.

---

1. *Meeting planning*

a. Anita discussed planning for coordination meeting with Khronos regarding glTF and other shared interests.

[1.0] Web3D Consortium and Khronos Group deepen cooperation on open standards for 3D on the Web
       2021 Feb 23
       https://www.web3d.org/news-story/web3d-consortium-and-khronos-group-deepen-cooperation-open-standards-3d-web

b. Dick and Don are planning to attend annual meetings of Standards Committee ISO SC24 on about 6 days during July.

[1.1] ISO/IEC JTC 1/SC 24
       Computer graphics, image processing and environmental data representation
       https://www.iso.org/committee/45252.html

c. Much dialog on Blender planning, coordination online.  Vince has created a site on Web3D Consortium github that is looking at a large number of Blender issues.  More dialog and execution to follow, watch the mailing list.  For example:

[1.2] [x3d-public] Blender X3D exporter: what to do, how to do it
	https://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2021-July/015451.html

[1.3] Blender X3D exporter: what to do, how to do it - by Michalis Kamburelis
	https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ad5XsU43gQGxqC7ehSBr21mdX2dQjKZCSXUQtvRwTHw/edit#heading=h.pdkeawb0jm4q

Lots of room for people to claim "bragging rights" i.e. something like "why yes children, i added that X3D capability to blender" 8)

d.  Holiday weekends (in USA at least) are a great time to think about writing a paper or tutorial...  we are all learning.

Primary submission date for WEB3D 2021 is at the end of the month, 30 July 2021.

[1.4] WEB3D 2021 CONFERENCE: A Shared 3D Workspace
       The 26th International Conference on 3D Web Technology
       8 – 12 November 2021, Pisa / Italy / Worldwide
       https://web3d.siggraph.org
       https://web3d.siggraph.org/important-dates

e. Weekly X3D meeting will move to *Friday 1000 pacific* (due to new quarter's teaching schedule for me).  Default agenda is short review of 2-3 Mantis topics for clarification, plus whatever else people want to discuss.

---

2. Dick and Don continuing with X3D4 Committee Draft specification editing.

Absent receipt of any objections, we are now posting editorial improvements to the CD1 prose online, as well as in github.

Am also happy to answer several spec-editing questions by Michalis Kamburelis affirmatively.  Thanks for your helpful review!

[2.0] [x3d-public] improved whitespace handling for CD text of X3D4 Architecture, now called 'CD1'
       https://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2021-July/015450.html

Latest specification versions maintained up-to-date at

[2.1] Extensible 3D (X3D) Part 1: Architecture and base components
       ISO/IEC 19775-1: 202x, Committed Draft (CD1)
       undergoing editorial review
       https://www.web3d.org/x3d4
       https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-CD1/Part01/Architecture.html
       https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-CD1.Web3D.zip

[2.2] github (Web3D member only)
       https://github.com/Web3DConsortium
       https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D/tree/master/ISO-IEC19775/ISO-IEC19775-1/ISO-IEC19775-1v4.0/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-CD1

In order to expedite continued comment resolution and document production, we are no longer highlighting Table of Contents entries when making changes.  We will continue to diligently report modification in Mantis and in meeting minutes.

[2.3] Web3D Mantis Issue Tracker
       (member access required via double login, have recommended open access)
       https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php

Recently reported changes are inspectable at

[2.4] X3D4 Architecture, Annex 5  Field type reference
	5.3.8 SFMatrix3d and MFMatrix3d
	5.3.9 SFMatrix3f and MFMatrix3f
	5.3.10 SFMatrix4d and MFMatrix4d
	5.3.11 SFMatrix4f and MFMatrix4f
	https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-CD1/Part01/fieldTypes.html#SFMatrix3dAndMFMatrix3d

[2.5] X3D4 Architecture, Annex 37  Rigid body physics component
	37.4.10 RigidBody
	https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-CD1/Part01/components/rigidBodyPhysics.html#RigidBody

Deferred until next week: briefly discussing selected Mantis issues that we thought were a little "iffy", our goal being to only accomplish editorial changes and not pursue functional changes.

[2.6] [x3d-public] Specification editors meeting: 3 mantis issue corrections, 2 issues for review
       http://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2021-July/015438.html

All X3D4 Architecture comments and questions are always welcome.

---

Here in USA, we hope that folks have a great Independence Day weekend.  We are all hopeful and optimistic that vaccination progress continues to progress and propagate worldwide.

* https://www.npr.org/2021/06/30/1011678713/the-white-house-is-marking-covid-independence-day-with-free-beer-and-bill-pullman
   https://ondemand.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/npr/atc/2021/06/20210629_atc_last_big_vaccination_push.mp3

Please stay safe.  We are together making steady progress.  Have fun with X3D4!  8)