[x3d-public] corrections to X3DUOM web page, reading encodings into python scenegraph, X3D-Dart

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 07:04:29 PDT 2021

Don, please place this email in a folder for JSON development. No action
is necessary at this point.

https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3DUOM.html#JavaScript should say
we're going with draft-07 JSON schema, and we have validation solutions
available for Java, JavaScript and Python. Note that there have been
JSON schema upgrades beyond draft-07, but these have been unacceptable
because we can't validate the JSON schema against itself.  An example of
using the Python validator looks like this:

os.system(f'python3 validate.py <
/c/x3d-code/www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/HelloWorld.json')

More info under X3DJSONLD/src/main/python.   See generateSchemas.py for
documentation, you can see all my calls to created schemas, validate
schemas, and validate JSON documents there. We could probably toss the
schema if we get a good solution there that is portable to different
programming languages.   If you don't want to use Java or JavaScript
validators, perhaps a Python validator would be a good approach.

=========================================================================================================================

We don't have a way to read any encoding into Python that I know of.
What should be our approach there?  Convert XML to Python? Are we going
to read glTF?  xslt3 supports JSON input, I think. I could start digging
into reading XML into a Python scenegraph by modifying the x3d.py
generating stylesheet.  If I read my skills right, I will only be able
to get some of the way.

I'm asking for help with X3D-Dart SAI on the flutter Discord server.
Hopefully I can entice some help as I've only been able to spend around
2-3 days a month on X3D coding.  There appears to be aborted development
of three.dart and and active development of FlutterGL .   I saw one
embedded demo of Unity in Flutter. Likely, X3D-Dart will sit atop
FlutterGL, like X3DOM and X_ITE sit atop webGL, or we can develop
rendering separate from the scenegraph by subclassing.

Thanks!