[x3d-public] whither geovrml.org ?

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Aug 23 15:15:53 PDT 2023

Mike, Martin (hello again Mr. Incredible sir), wondering what do you think
about this?

Current testing of VRML validation for X3D Example Archives reveals that
geovrml.org is no longer supported, and had not been noticed previously.
Interesting.

*	https://www.geovrml.org
*	Forbidden Access.  We apologize but access to the requested resource
is forbidden. Please contact your AIC point of contact to get the correct
URL.
*	Artificial Intelligence Center @SRI International
*	333 Ravenswood Avenue, Menlo Park, CA 94025-3493

The geovrml.org site was originally used to host VRML and X3D geospatial
nodes, and was instrumental for their successful development and
documentation as the X3D Geospatial Component in the ISO/IEC standard.

*	X3D 4.0 Architecture, Clause 25, Geospatial component
*
https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-IS.proof/Pa
rt01/components/geospatial.html

Example usages can be found among various scenes in the following archive:

*	X3D Example Archives: Basic, Geospatial
*	https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/Basic/Geospatial
*	<meta content='http://www.geovrml.org/1.0/doc/examples.html'
name='reference'/>
*	<ExternProtoDeclare name='GeoCoordinate'
url='"urn:web3d:geovrml:1.0/protos/GeoCoordinate.wrl#GeoCoordinate"
"/Program%20Files/GeoVRML/1.0/protos/GeoCoordinate.wrl#GeoCoordinate"
http://www.ai.sri.com/geovrml/1.0/protos/GeoCoordinate.wrl#GeoCoordinate'>

       <field accessType='initializeOnly' name='geoOrigin' type='SFNode'/>

       <field accessType='initializeOnly' name='geoSystem' type='MFString'/>

       <field accessType='initializeOnly' name='point' type='MFString'/>

   </ExternProtoDeclare>

My GeoSpatial X3D slideset includes a little history, no doubt Mike has even
more.

*	History: GeoVRML
*	Geospatial referencing has always been a goal of X3D in order to
make models most useful.
*	The core design efforts for geospatial X3D were performed by GeoVRML
working group.
*	This design has been carefully evolved over time to match practical
experience gained by producing ever-larger geospatial model.
*
https://x3dgraphics.com/slidesets/X3dForAdvancedModeling/GeospatialComponent
X3dEarth.pdf

Given our successful standardization and continuing deployment, not sure we
actually need geovrml.org any more - but on the other hand, maybe there were
some historic assets that deserve to be archived.  We might use web3d.org
for that.

Of further note, Nicholas was recently engaged in SIGGRAPH 50-Year History
efforts.  He has a good understanding of these imperatives and
opportunities.

Thanks all for considering this.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics https://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman