[x3d-public] X3D Working Group meeting 8 DEC 2023: proposed charter improvements

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Wed Dec 13 09:28:19 PST 2023

Doug, thanks for feedback.  This is close to what you said a week ago.  Not sure if we are connecting correctly.

We are currently working on a working group charter, which sets out shared goals and requirements.  So far these seem pretty clear and well defined.  “Good” goals means that success can be measured by demonstrated results, draft specification prose, and eventual consensus.

If I am following your line of thinking, then topics like CALL FOR NEW FEATURES, PRE-DRAFT, etc. etc. sound like procedures for the group to follow.  That might be valuable, if doable.  However we are not looking at coordination of working-group activities right now as part of a charter.

Once we have a renewed charter, if someone wants to lead such coordination steps as a working process for meeting policy requirements, then OK by me.  Seems premature to lay all that out, a group should be free to flexibly execute as they work on achieving goals and requirements.  Future leadership activity will no doubt be welcome by everyone.

Following our first exemplar (probably Image Atlas) as a Web3D Recommended Practice, also must note that it won’t be me who is choreographing such new-node activities.  I will be focused primarily on Specification Synchronization with Dick Puk.  ISO participants recently approved my relieving Dick as SC24 WG6 convener, so I can confirm that a lot of updates to existing specifications (SAI programming language bindings and file encodings) are needed before any X3D 4.1 new-specification efforts are possible.

Please advise if this makes sense to you.  Good discussion topic for next week’s X3D Working Group meeting 22 DEC 2023 (no meeting this Friday due to NPS graduation).  Alternatively am always happy to discuss with you directly if that helps us.

p.s. For thoroughness, your prior note and my prior response follow.  Please permit me to recap my earlier responses here since the points remain relevant.

*	[x3d-public] [x3d] X3D working group meeting: charter review for 2024
*	https://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2023-December/020100.html
*	https://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2023-December/020103.html

First was the past/present/future synopsis, describing what works.  Wording has been further refined as we’ve continued.

Next was that the doors remain open.  The x3d-public at web3d.org <mailto:x3d-public at web3d.org>  mailing list will remain our primary path for sharing new ideas.  The x3d at web3d.org <mailto:x3d at web3d.org>  mailing list is always available as well for Web3D Consortium members who want to share and discuss ideas privately and confidentially.

Next was the list of existing approved policy requirements that must be met.  These are all controlled by Web3D Consortium Board of Directors.  Membership has value!

*	Web3D Standards Adoption Process
*	https://www.web3d.org/standards/adoption-process

*	Web3D Contribution Submission Guidelines
*	https://www.web3d.org/standards/contribution-guidelines

*	Join Web3D Consortium
*	https://www.web3d.org/join
*	“Web3D Consortium members agree to follow the rules, policies, and restrictions as specified in the following documents:”

*	By-Laws
*	Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Policy
*	(part of Member Agreement)
*	https://www.web3d.org/sites/default/files/page/Join%20the%20Web3D%20Consortium/Web3D_IPR.pdf

So, happy days: we have a proven process that works.  We have good goals emerging for steady (indeed compelling) progress in the coming year.  Perhaps best, we have X3D 4.0 !!  8)

I hope that all this works for you too.  Again thanks for your careful consideration.

Don Brutzman  Naval Postgraduate School, Code USW/Br        brutzman at nps.edu

Watkins 270,  MOVES Institute, Monterey CA 93943-5000 USA    +1.831.656.2149

X3D graphics, virtual worlds, navy robotics https://faculty.nps.edu/brutzman