[x3d-public] 3D printing popcorn et al for deafblind

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 20:47:46 PST 2023

For people interested in 3d accessibility.

As a continuing saga of 3D accessibility, how might a deafblind person
design or declare “popcorn” to be 3D printed?  If they knew the word in
protactile language, this might be translated to, say, English; then a
search for 3D models could be made, downloaded, possibly converted to the
right format and sent to the printer.

How might this be automated by a deafblind person, not a helper?   What if
the part printed is a replacement part that needs to be searched for?  We
can’t do a screen reader in many cases, so any catalog would have to be
converted to deafblind language.  One would want to the search to be as
precise as possible.

Somehow, I feel like this is a gag forced on me.  Maybe you do too.

Perhaps Alexa-ASL could work?  I am familiar with Tatum Robotics.

How might we develop X3D deafblind bindings and encodings?  How does a
deafblind person interact with the Metaverse?