[x3d-public] webGPU in Chrome 113. Mojo?

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 21:50:50 PDT 2023

I’m not sure if people saw Google I/O, news is trickling in on YouTube.

The main news is WebGPU is available on Chrome 113+ on many platforms, from
what I recall, mostly desktop and laptop OSes.

They also mentioned with a few tweaks, an early version of Firefox could be
made to work with some examples.

So, it seems likely to that there’s a new platform for x3d?   The main
thing that seems to be introduced is “compute shaders,” which beats the
pants off JavaScript.  I know this pain pain point well for modifying
surfaces.

So the question becomes, how can X3D leverage compute shaders?  I know for
me, I can use something like ray marching with my geometries.  I already
saw parallelization with WebGL.  How much JavaScript can we push into
WebGPU compute shaders?

Has anyone got an early access version of Mojo from Modular?  What do
people think about Mojo-Jupyter plus WebGPU for X3D?

Thanks!