[x3d-public] Another exciting project. X3D+spreadsheet

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Wed Oct 18 01:30:11 PDT 2023

What if you had all your animation (chaining, interpolator, sequencers)
data in spreadsheets (high and low level) and you wanted to use ROUTEs
between the spreadsheet and the VRML or X3D XML text?  A change in one
place would effect a change in the other places?  I did actually get a data
structure for this in the past, but not only two documents, but multiple
documents…hierarchies, spreadsheets, text documents, you name it.  All the
documents related together with data binding (ROUTEs) all where similar
data appeared.  Perhaps a simple Xanadu?  The whole thing was being
implemented in InterViews/X11, even with consideration for multiple users
and automation.  Did the web kill it?  Yes!  Am I somewhat bitter? Yes!
Can the web do something similar?  Do you want to try?  What if the X3D
archives also came with tables of animation data (beyond just visualizing
routes)? What if we could take Holger’s and Andreas’ editors and add tables
for interpolators, animation chaining and sequencers,  such that they were
plainly visible and editable with near instantaneous response?

Instead of digging through piles and piles of VRML and XML data, it’s all
plainly visible in a table?

Think about it.  Fun stuff for smart people to think about an implement.