[X3D-Public] google's V8 Javascript engine (was: O3D - Google's 3D JavaScript API)

Paul Aslin fabricatorgeneral at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 01:45:19 PDT 2009

I just looked up an article on google's V8 javascript engine.

The important part is this:
"It increases performance by compiling JavaScript to native machine code before running it, rather than to a bytecode or interpreting it and by employing optimization techniques like inline caching. Thus, JavaScript applications will run at the speed of a compiled binary." *

Its an open source project, so no reason opensource why it can't be used with like licensed x3d plugins (at least the c++ based ones).

Should the web3d consortium consider making a project for a version of V8 ecmascript to add the changes need to support x3d scripting ?

* quote from wikipedia.org