[x3d-public] Availability of X3D viewers -- despite the resource list?

Anthony Judge anthony.judge at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 10:20:57 PDT 2015

Further to my earlier rant on this thread, introduced by the comment
below, this is a brief note on how I have now resolved my issue in the
document in question.

Realizing I needed some kind of "wrapper" for the X3D file, I searched
using: embed x3d html

I got the page at:

http://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/HtmlObjectTagForX3d.html

and substituted my x3d file in the example (as was the intention) --
saving it as an htm
file as at

http://www.laetusinpraesens.org/docs10s/images/infoheal_files/penta5_x3d.htm

This worked, giving me the FreeWRL viewer -- but I believe ONLY
because I had previously downloaded FreeWRL in earlier explorations.
Had I not done so, I assume it would not have worked and I would have
received the default message.

My point would be, in the spirit of my earlier rant, that the range of
options for export from X3D Edit could have been more helpful in
enabling me to get to that point -- especially since I was operating
against a deadline.

My recommendation is that some more thought be given to the wording of
the export options and their relation to the help search. Having just
used the latter, I could not find the pathway which I had to discover
otherwise. Casual developers would be similarly frustrated. The issue
is what kind of wrapper is required for the x3d export and how a
relatively ignorant person is to find the embed guidance indicated
above

I am also amused that at this precise moment I have not yet determined
what values the params in that example might usefully take. Tjhe
comments there are not helpful on this matter. I took the default but
this does not currently give me direct access to the FreeWRL
dashboard, if I have understood the purpose of that option. There is
nothing more obscure than the obvious

Tony

--
Anthony Judge