[x3d-public] X_ITE and WebXR support

Sgeo sgeoster at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 15:58:18 PDT 2019

[I attempted to send this before registering but it never showed in the
archives, hopefully my resending after registering doesn't result in
duplicates[

I would love to use X_ITE with WebXR to view VRML worlds on my VR headset.
I've implemented WebVR for Cobweb before, but that's bitrotten. So I'm
wondering if it would be better to

* Hack WebXR support in via a JS file that tampers with X_ITE objects.
There would be risk that as X_ITE changes, it stops working
* Add WebXR to X_ITE more directly. That has the risk of me not bothering
to update my X_ITE fork as X_ITE improves
* Just wait for Create3000 to add WebXR to X_ITE directly (with X3D 4.1?
assuming Create3000 wants to actually do so?)? Almost certainly the most
correct thing to do (I certainly don't trust my own VR implementations),
and I assume X3D 4.1 will answer questions such as if various sensors
detect head position or some kind of avatar position, but what if I don't
want to wait that long >.>