[x3d-public] Fw: ProtoInstance USE without name

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sat Dec 5 19:51:34 PST 2020

[...]

On 12/5/2020 4:38 PM, Andreas Plesch wrote:
>     And so, still thinking our current state of affairs to have XML models with a ProtoInstance USE not require a name (while clearly erroneous if an included name mismatches) seems OK and provides round-trippable correct results.  This pattern also played out satisfactorily in the JSON encoding, Java X3DJSAIL and Python x3d.py without mishap.
>
> I agree. It would be reasonable that name should not be required. But the spec. currently allows browsers to require it, as far as I can tell.

In general the spec avoids telling browsers what they can and cannot do, rather it defines expected results and usually describes error results as behavior-response undefined.

If a browser requires name in ProtoInstance USE in an XML model, they are not meeting the explicit requirements noted previously in 19776-1 X3D XML Encoding (and thus noncompliant in this regard).

> https://savage.nps.edu/X3dValidator/ <https://savage.nps.edu/X3dValidator/> does not seem to work currently, eg. the Validate button stays greyed out ?

Yes, you must first identify a model (via file chooser or url type-in) before validation is possible.

That has gotten me too!  I'll think about how to make it more obvious next time I'm inside that code tree.

Will report when Schematron update to the min/max Sound rules has been deployed in X3D Validator.