[x3d-public] L.2 Re: Annex L HTML authoring guidelines for X3D4; naming Script versus X3DScript

Andreas Plesch andreasplesch at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 16:02:15 PST 2020

Hello Don,

that looks great. If I may, I will go through the Annex section by
section, starting with L.2.

"Harmonize event models so that user interaction within the HTML page
can also affect the X3D model, and vice versa."

Although UI events such as a mouse click are most illustrative, I
think that event harmonization design goals should also include non-UI
events. For example, x_ite_dom forwards all X3D output events as DOM
events (which can be received by DOM script API methods). Similarly,
x3dom has an onoutputchange attribute for all x3d nodes. As a result,
it is possible to monitor the position of a X3D scene object, for
example, from the HTML/DOM page.

So I would suggest to broaden the design goal to:

"Harmonize event models so that DOM events such as user interaction
within the HTML page can also affect the X3D model, and X3D events the
DOM."

...continued, -Andreas
-

--