[x3d-public] X3D agenda 18 DEC 2020: X3D4 review, ballot in progress, issue resolution continues

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Thu Dec 17 10:34:14 PST 2020

X3D Weekly Meeting, 09-1000 Pacific time, Friday 18 DEC 2020.

This week we have a feedback and discussion session regarding X3D4 Working Draft 3 ballot, now in progress.

[0.1] Web3D Teleconference Information
       https://www.web3d.org/member/teleconference-information

> Please use the following link for all Web3D Consortium Meetings.
>
> Join URL: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81634670698?pwd=a1VPeU5tN01rc21Oa3hScUlHK0Rxdz09

Prior minutes:

[0.2] [x3d-public] X3D minutes 11 DEC 2020: X3D4 Annex L, HTML authoring guidelines
       https://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2020-December/014265.html

As usual, preparation notes are included in this agenda.  Further inputs always welcome.

---

Topics:

1. Our "big picture" is Really Big

 From a capabilities perspective, our X3D working group and community have had a stellar year!  PBR/NPR/glTF rendering, advanced audio,

Thanks to everyone for your many insights and contributions, we are together reaching a new plateau of productivity with X3D4.

Please stay safe out there with friends and family over the holiday break. Our shared work continues in 2021.

---

2. Questions of interest - any new ideas, or things we haven't answered?

[2] X3D Version 4 Overview
     https://www.web3d.org/x3d4

Discussion and review.

---

3. Ballot sent to Web3D members

Public version of X3D4 Architecture (working draft 3) includes all markup for additions/changes/deletions.

[3.1] X3D4 Public Working Draft Specification third release
       https://www.web3d.org/specifications/X3Dv4Draft/ISO-IEC19775-1v4-WD3/

Private member version is pristine, with editing markup automagically removed from the HTML pages using an XML-based publication stylesheet.

These online documents will remain unchanged during the ballot period.

Specification documents are maintained as part of our member-only github version control.  Account permission requests are welcome.

[3.2] Github version control: Web3DConsortium / X3D
       https://github.com/Web3DConsortium/X3D

X3D Specification editors (Dick and yours truly) expect to steadily continue with issue resolution.  As ever: technical-tradeoff discussions occur on x3d-public list, with summarized technical details collected in Mantis.

[3.3] Web3D Consortium Mantis Issue Tracker
       https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/

All specific ballot comments will be recorded and resolved (or marked as deferred) shortly after the 30-day ballot period closes.

Decision point: if approved by Web3D Consortium Board of Directors in January 2020, the X3D4 Architecture Committee Draft (CD) will be submitted to ISO IEC/JTC 1/SC 24 for international review and disposition.

---

4. X3D4 outreach, encouraging membership in support of ballot

Seems like a big opportunity for outreach...

[4.0] Join the Web3D Consortium
       https://www.web3d.org/join

There has been no better time to be a Web3D Consortium Member, much value continues to steadily emerge.

----

5. Deprecating GeoMetadata "data" field.

> We are looking closely at this and do not recognize a need for the GeoMetadata
> /data/ field. Certainly the information is duplicative; if another geospatial
> node uses a given GeoMetadata node, that occurs elsewhere and is definitive.
> Any time there is duplication (such as this /data/ field) that is an opportunity
> for error and inconsistency that we do not want.

Mantis is a great tool that helps us keep track of all this immense amount of information coherently.

Long form of an issue-notification message follows so that anyone can see what are able to track, even over a number of years if necessary.

For GeoMetadata "data" field, please see comments by Don/Dick and Mike below.  Shall we deprecate and declare it nonfunctional in X3D4?

On 12/17/2020 8:59 AM, Mantis Bug Tracker wrote:

> [...]
> 25.3.5 GeoMetadata
> http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/geodata.html#GeoMetadata
>
> -----------------
>
> Node signature says
> GeoMetadata : X3DInfoNode {
>      MFNode   [in,out] data     []
>
> Appears to need to apply node type restriction.  Default would seem to be
> X3DNode but probably this ought to be restricted to geospatial and
> metadata/WorldInfo nodes.
> -----------------
>
> Additional Information:
> Submitted on Thursday, 2015,  June 4 - 8:25pm
> by brutzman (brutzman )
> IP: 205.155.65.226
>
> See: http://www.web3d.org/node/1694/submission/579

>   (0002034) walroy (manager) - 2017-05-01 05:21
>   https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=802#c2034
> -- Submitter indicates that this comment may be public: *Yes* --
>
> Comment on 19775-1: Abstract X3D Definitions - V3.3
> 25.3.5 GeoMetadata
> http://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19775-1/V3.3/Part01/components/geodata.html#GeoMetadata
>
> -----------------
> Subject: GeoMetadata MFNode data field needs restriction on allowed node types
>
> GeoMetadata node signature is:
>
> GeoMetadata : X3DInfoNode {
>      MFNode   [in,out] data     []
>      SFNode   [in,out] metadata NULL [X3DMetadataObject]
>      MFString [in,out] summary  []
>      MFString [in,out] url      []   [URI]
> }
>
> This allows the "data" field to include any node whatsoever, which is contrary
> to specification semantics later in this section:
> "The data field is used to list all of the other nodes in a scene by DEF name
> that reference the data described in the GeoMetadata node." etc.
>
> Solution approaches include listing all nodes exhaustively or else perhaps
> creating an X3DGeospatialObject badge interface.  Possible correction thus looks
> like
>
> MFNode   [in,out] data     [] [*List all nodes or create an X3DGeospatialObject interface*]
>
> p.s. Worth noting is that the GeoMetadata approach is different than the other
> Metadata nodes.  Possibly it might be refactored and merged for X3D version 4.
> -----------------
>
> Submitted on Sunday, 2017,  April 30 - 5:08pm
> by brutzman (brutzman )
> IP: 162.225.68.164
>
> See: http://www.web3d.org/node/1694/submission/1356

>   (0002035) walroy (manager) - 2017-05-01 05:28
>   https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=802#c2035
> In addition, I reviewed the XML schema, DTD, and JSON schema. In all three cases
> I noted that they only permitted geospatial nodes, as well as ProtoInstance. The
> permitted content was done by listing all the allowed nodes.
>
> ---------------------
>
> Submitted on 1st May by Roy Walmsley
> See http://web3d.org/mailman/private/x3d_web3d.org/2017-May/006040.html

>   (0002685) brutzman (developer) - 2020-12-15 15:01

here it is

> Spec editor review, posted message:
> =========================
>
> We are looking closely at this and do not recognize a need for the GeoMetadata
> /data/ field. Certainly the information is duplicative; if another geospatial
> node uses a given GeoMetadata node, that occurs elsewhere and is definitive.
> Any time there is duplication (such as this /data/ field) that is an opportunity
> for error and inconsistency that we do not want.
>
> Wondering: can we simply deprecate this field as nonfunctional?

>   (0002731) mmccann (developer) - 2020-12-17 08:59
>   https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view.php?id=802#c2731
> I'm in favor of making GeoMetadata consistent with other Metadata nodes.
>
> The ambiguity of the data attribute would seem to lead to very confusing
> content. I know of no examples of its use this way, and perhaps it's a good
> thing there are no examples of its use!
>
> Issue History
> Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change
> Append type restriction => 25.3.5 GeoMetadata "data" field: append type
> restriction or consider deprecating

And so it goes.  Have fun with X3D4!  8)