[x3d-public] X3D minutes 10 July 2020: X3D4 Pull Request 8 merged in main spec and reviewed, PBR and glTF

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 15:02:20 PDT 2020

> When discussing component/level support (likely Level 4 in X3D Shape
> component) Dick suggested an interesting possibility: defining an Realistic
> profile which included Immersive (approximately = VRML97) and PBR/glTF.

I don't think we agreed on PhysicalMaterial on level 4 of Shape. I would
not want this.

Right now PhysicalMaterial is on level 2. We can certainly move it, but I
would not want it to be on a higher level than everything else :)

PhysicalMaterial is IMHO more important (has more use-case) than e.g.
FillProperties or Appearance.backMaterial, that are also in "Shape"
component, but are extremely rare in usage (and I doubt I'll ever implement
them in CGE, just as I didn't plan to support TwoSidedMaterial with
separateBackColor=TRUE). So these should be on a higher level than
PhysicalMaterial.

> Gamma corrections can help with tone mapping of HDR within a visible
> luminosity range, as reported earlier that is deferred until a future
> version of X3D4.

Correcting colors for HDR is a different issue than the "gamma correct
rendering" (discussed in context of glTF, as in
https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/Gamma-correction-in-X3D-and-glTF
https://castle-engine.io/manual_gamma_correction.php ).

We indeed deferred mentioning gamma correction in X3D 4.0 spec, and we
don't plan to mention HDR either, but let us not mix these two issues.
"Gamma correction" and HDR are independent things with different purpose,
one of these things doesn't depend on another.

I believe Doug mentioned today just that a similar math can be used for HDR
("power" is a powerful function for many purposes :) ).

 Regards,
Michalis