[x3d-public] X3D python effort, suggested upgrades to x3d.py

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Thu Apr 1 12:47:04 PDT 2021

Suggested upgrades to x3d.py, found in the python packages.

Python parsing of various encodings into scenegraph.

Suggested encodings:

XML

JSON

VRML

python dict

Are these currently present in the API?

I am willing to provide a JSON parser, based on X3DJSONLD-like code--not
something spread across a lot of classes--someone else will have to
provide that.  Possibly I can provide an X3DJSONLD that will convert
directly to Python object model (using classes found in x3d.py) or
python dict, instead of providing XML DOM document on output.  I am not
sure at this point.

We already have XML and JSON parsing for Java.   Remember that the
x3d.py is generated, I believe.  Someone can correct me.

If someone wants to volunteer converting X3DJSONLD.js, X3DJSONLD.java,
or X3DJSONLD.cpp to python, raise your hand!

Before X3DJSONLD comes converting XML DOM documents to a scenegraph.
The same DOM library should be used for both XML and X3DJSONLD.  If
there's no DOM loader available, I will attempt to go directly to python
object model or python dict.

Your comments are welcome!