[x3d-public] X3D meeting minutes 23, 30 July 2021: conference deadlines, ISO annual meeting, continuing progress

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Mon Aug 2 17:30:30 PDT 2021

Attendees:

  1.  23 July: Havele, Marchetti, Polys, Puk, Brutzman
  2.  30 July: Carlson, Havele, Puk, Brutzman

  1.  Outreach

  1.  Extended deadlines for Web3D 2021 Conference: 8 August for papers, 15 August for tutorials workshops etc.
  2.  SIGGRAPH CARTO BOF, Monday 9 August 10-11 pacific

Date, time, link, summary?

Registration required to attend, requires $50 for Basic registration (or higher)

  1.  ISO meetings, have finished 3 of 4 weeks, final summary sessions next week
     *   Monday is Drafting Committee, Tuesday is Roadmap, Wednesday is final SC24 Plenary
     *   Excellent coordination with U.S. National Body beforehand, Web3D Consortium is member of INCITS H3
     *   Khronos glTF 2.0 still pending, awaiting resolution of questions regarding Publicly Available Submitter (PAS) process completion.
     *   Attached is our current slideset summary, this is likely to match our final report to Consortium members next week.
     *   All of our issues are being handled satisfactorily.

  1.  In progress: regression testing and release of X3D4 XML schema/DTD, X3DUOM, tooltips.  Final regression tests and refactoring now complete (2 AUG 2021): X3DJSAIL, X3DPSAIL, Semantic Web, and Python.

     *   Note Meshlab is now in monthly releases, no longer supports meshlabserver utility, instead has Python scripting (similar to Blender approach).  TODO update that X3DJSAIL utility.
     *   A variety of implementation efforts are proceeding from these conformant implementations of X3D4 official specification.

  1.  John Carlson reports
======
As some of you may have seen, I started on a X3D Dart/Flutter SAI + examples.  Dart/Flutter is a Google-based programming language and UI toolkit.
The solutions in that space seem to 1) Unity 2) FlutterGL
So there's plenty of room for declarative 3D, even possibly using the X3D extension to Unity
but I think that may be writing in C#?
the three.dart (ported three.js) is way behind three.js as far as I can tell, and possibly abandoned (in favor of TypeScript?)
I'm interested in glTF PBR Next (2.0 extensions).
It would be great if X3DOM, X_ITE or another X3D browser would implement PBR Next. (view3dscene?)
I'll look for your X3DUOM updates Don, thanks.
As always, i will provide JSON schema in the X3DJSONLD or x3d schema repositories on GitHub (under the coderextreme account).

  1.  Updates to sourceforge wait until I can connect an IDE to sourceforge
======

     *   We discussed upcoming review opportunities of X3D programming language bindings for C, C++, C# and hope that might help.
     *   New glTF Extensions Raise the Bar on 3D Asset Visual Realism - The Khronos Group Inc<https://www.khronos.org/news/press/new-gltf-extensions-raise-the-bar-on-3d-asset-visual-realism>

https://www.khronos.org/news/press/new-gltf-extensions-raise-the-bar-on-3d-asset-visual-realism (perhaps these will be part of glTF 2.x ?) Of note is that X3D4 is aligning with glTF 2.0 but note that, since X3D Inline can load glTF assets, so if an X3D player implements such extensions then there is no specification-defined impediment to extending an X3D scene by rendering all features.

  1.  Mantis issues (member access) resolving editorial comments for X3D4.  Steady progress has resumed by Dick and Don.
     *   https://www.web3d.org/member-only/mantis/view_all_bug_page.php

Have fun with X3D!  8)

v/r Don