[x3d-public] Class grammars? and maintaining or reproducing templated method bodies from non-templated method bodies

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 15:00:52 PDT 2021

Merging conversation into x3d-public to get experience of others.

I think we can keep line number information in each artifact, like

<!--file://..../Scene.java#15--> (line 15 of Scene.java in referenced
from an XML or XSLT file)

/* file://...../X3dUnifiedObjectModel-4.0.xml#25 */ (line 25 of
X3dUnifiedObjectModel-4.0.xml referenced from a Java file)

/* file://..../CreateX3dSceneAccessInterfaceJava.xslt#34 */ (line 34 of
CreateX3dSceneAccessInterfaceJava.xslt referenced from a Java file)

These might as file annotations in comments.   Full paths or relative
paths may be provided.  This information might not be stored in the the
source and target files, but rather in a metadata file.

I guess that hyperlink anchors could be provided to jump between the files.

Am I missing anything? Is this already done?  Is there a way to jump to
a line number from another file in NetBeans?

Is that what you do for maintaining method bodies in source between
class grammar modifications, Cameron?

How easy are these things to add to the Java, XML and XSLT files, Don?
Should we add a complete anchor tag, and a @see?

How are line numbers typically referenced in XML, XSLT and Java? My
guess is it might be possible.

I really am a NetBeans newbie.

I hope I am being helpful.  I'm trying to provide programmers better
ways to navigate between XML and Java. Vim really is not cutting it.

Am I ready yet?  I'm feeling a disturbance. I feel this is adequate for
"decompiling" back to XML or for providing hints in Java for reaching
back to source documents. I do not know if XML and XSLT needs to know
the Java line number, unless the Java already exists.

Thanks,

John