[x3d-public] Blender 3.0 import/export of HelloWorld.x3d

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 23:08:45 PST 2021

There’s something with line 364 of io_utils.py I tried to patch.   With
that exception being tested for (thanks Don for your suggestion on the
python error), I got decimated textures in all later round trips, in all
collada, fbx, glTF and X3D. I tried running the .x3d in a browser under
both X_ITE and X3DUOM—no luck.

At this point I don’t know how to replace the texture in the exported X3D,
 but it’s likely one can replace decimated textures (data url?), but
without a url attribute, this is more difficult.   If you have multiple
textures, which do you replace if there’s no names to your images?

So the good news is, export textures are somewhat working for me (in
blender) but changes to the exported textures to add a comment with the
image file name in it would be welcome.   Ideally one should be able to
configure export to add url attributes instead of using decimated textures.
  So don’t provide images, just provide a spot to put a file name in.  Make
it optional.  Note, I’m a blender noob.

So one can patch the loop in io_utils.py by testing if the iterable is
None,  but you might get decimated images.  A way forward is to test
exports of unpatched versions of blender.   If all exports show decimated
textures, then Blender team has work which X3D may benefit from.

I may need to upgrade my blend file.   I recommend starting with a fresh
cube and a text to adequately test this deficiency.   I believe Don did
this.   The Blender file may have historical issues that newer version may
deprecated

John