[x3d-public] reading schematron diagnostics

Don Brutzman brutzman at nps.edu
Sat Feb 6 09:58:32 PST 2021

step by step...

On 2/5/2021 1:55 AM, John Carlson wrote:

> Thanks, Don.   I will look over the X3D file some more later.

gosh i love diagnostics!  um, compared to the alternative of no diagnostics...

> Should the order of the fieldValues match the order of fields?

not required

> I’m beginning to sound like Harry Potter.  Lol

We haven't yet defined a policy for "Web3D Wizard" but am sure that consensus is possible following much concerted effort, controversy, sound and fury...

> Thanks!
>
> John

happy to help when i can, you are finding the gaps/seams and we're all in this together. take care.  8)

> On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 2:11 AM Don Brutzman <brutzman at nps.edu <mailto:brutzman at nps.edu>> wrote:
>
>     These Schematron alerts are readable if you split them up.  Here is explanation for first.
>
>     On 2/4/2021 10:54 PM, John Carlson wrote:
>      > ProtoInstance name='x3dconnector' DEF='connector1'> <fieldValue name='startnode' value=''/> has matching ProtoDeclare but no corresponding field match for this fieldValue
>
>     The above warning says that your ProtoInstance named "x3dconnector" has an initial field value named "startnode", but there is no corresponding field "startnode" defined in the governing ProtoDeclare named "x3dconnector".
>
>     No name found usually means that you have a flawed ProtoInstance.  Though the mismatch/misunderstanding might be in the ProtoDeclare or ExternProtoDeclare.  As author, you must ensure that all the names match.
>
>      > [/X3D/Scene/ProtoInstance[1]/fieldValue[1], hint]

p.s. i changed role attribute of this diagnostic from "hint" to "error" since it is an error.