[x3d-public] X3D minutes 28 May 2021: Activity, implementation updates, CORS, MultiTextureTeapot, SFString parsing, id/class/style fields

Michalis Kamburelis michalis.kambi at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 03:55:39 PDT 2021

As for Khronos meeting time (you wrote "Tuesday 08 pacific or Friday
09 pacific"): if you mean next week, then both Tuesday and Friday are
right now fine for me. Please add a calendar invite once the date and
time are confirmed :)

As for SFString / MFString changes in the spec: I admit I read the
meeting notes worried. My strong opinion here is that we *should not*
change the way current X3D classic or X3D XML parsers have to work --
because all implementations agree here what to do, and it wasn't easy
to get to this point. Instead, we have to fix the spec which is
confusing ( https://github.com/michaliskambi/x3d-tests/wiki/Clarify-the-usage-of-quotes-and-backslashes-for-MFString-and-SFString-in-XML-encoding
). Complicating the spec with additional rules, that are not
backward-compatible, is risky here.

    Please let's first just *fix* the current X3D XML spec (I propose
in my wiki improvements that we talked about many times now...)
without making any functional changes.

    Only afterwards, once we have a clear X3D XML spec about MFString
encoding (that reflects what the actual implementations *do*) then we
can think of adding new rules.

    Otherwise, we risk that we will complicate a part of X3D XML spec
text that is already confusing.

Regards,
Michalis

śr., 2 cze 2021 o 02:13 John Carlson <yottzumm at gmail.com> napisał(a):

> [...]
>>>
>>> g. Added documentation for CORS, verification/improvements welcome:
>>>
>>> ===================================================================
>>> [2] X3D Scene Authoring Hints: Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS)
>>>      https://www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples/X3dSceneAuthoringHints.html#CORS
>>>
>>>      "Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS) is a mechanism that allows restricted resources on a web page to be requested from another domain outside the domain from which the first resource was served." Wikipedia
>>>
>>> CORS is important when locally launching an HTML page displaying X3D models when using X_ITE or X3DOM. These are JavaScript players typically served from their originating websites, and so your local web browser may fail to load them (as well as your X3D model) due to CORS restrictions. This security restriction is well-intentioned but can make testing difficult for authors.
>>>
>>> The easiest way to handle CORS requirements is to have a local HTTPS server running privately pn your system. For example, if installed, you might run the following Python 3 invocation in the directory of interest. Once running: open your web browser, and select the page of interest. For example:
>>>
>>> $ [system] cd 'C:\x3d-code\www.web3d.org\x3d\content\examples'
>>>    [system] /cygdrive/c/x3d-code/www.web3d.org/x3d/content/examples
>>>
>>> $ [system] python -m http.server
>>> Serving HTTP on :: port 8000 (http://[::]:8000/) ...
>>>
>>> # Next open web browser to http://localhost:8080
>>> # Next open model of interest, for example HelloWorldX_ITE.html or HelloWorldX3dom.xhtml
>>>
>>> References
>>> * Wikipedia: Cross-origin_resource_sharing
>>> * Fetch Standard by WHATWG defines requests, responses, and the fetching process that binds them. See 3.2. CORS protocol.
>>> * Mozilla documentation: Cross-Origin Resource Sharing (CORS)
>>> * X_ITE Issue 72, Supporting CORS in X3D-Edit via Java to support X_ITE presentation of X3D models
>>> * X_ITE Guidance, Using Firefox, Chrome and Opera with Local Files
>>> * X3DOM documentation: Running X3DOM Applications with a Simple Python Server
>>> * Additional TODO: add built-in CORS capabilities to X3D-Edit, X3DJSAIL Java, X3DPSAIL x3d.py python.
>>>
>>> [2] [x3d-public] MultiTextureTeapot example using X3D3.3
>>>      https://web3d.org/pipermail/x3d-public_web3d.org/2021-May/015213.html
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> 4. SFString parsing
>>>
>>> Working towards resolution on details of long-running issue that has led to irregular parsing of XML for X3D.
>>>
>>> Essence: first let XML parsers do their thing, then apply ClassicVRML parsing to the result.
>>>
>>> [4.0] ClassicVRML Annex A Grammar
>>>        https://www.web3d.org/documents/specifications/19776-2/V3.3/Part02/grammar.html
>>>
>>> Summary of specification refinements: clearly state that
>>>
>>> a. Explicitly note in XML encoding that XML parsing rules produce a string value that is next subject to ClassicVRML parsing rules.
>>> b. Explicitly note in ClassicVRML encoding that a solitary \ character is erroneous.