[x3d-public] JSON Schema meeting minutes

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 15:17:09 PDT 2021

Note that encodings, bindings and schemas are different things, except that bindings are starting to look a lot like encodings now.  JSON schema has not yet achieved standardization, we are using draft 2020-12, and it looks a bit like the JSON schema crew are having a bit of an issue getting a standards body to endorse it.   Since both glTF and X3D could make use of a JSON schema standard, I recommend that either Khronos and/or Web3d consortium suggest a standards body to the JSON schema folks.  Something like ECMA seems like a natural fit.

Note that X3D JSON schema depends on JSON schema for vocabulary.

In the early days of X3DJSON I looked for something that would convert XML schema to JSON schema, but it looked like any tool were were going to use would not match what we were creating with X3D JSON.  I don’t know if there’s sufficient umph in XMLSpy to do it, but we might consider a post-processing tool.

I may still have code around that converts xsd to owl to vowl if anyone is interested.

Another place we might place effort is a validating API for X3D JSON.  I view that as a valuable task, but I don’t have the personal passion or brainpower to push it through.   First things first.  You probably shouldn’t write parser without a specification.

This is pretty much the 5th JSON schema draft we’ve developed for, not counting all the X3D versions.

We have X3DJSONLD deployed in 2 browsers and on sourceforge.   Does anyone want to discuss SAI for building a scenegraph from X3DJSON?  What approaches are out there?

What’s worrying me is the lack of expressively in X3DUOM compared to other schemas  (geoSystem, oneOf).   Perhaps we should convert to a textual SysML?   Is there a modeling language which encompasses everything we want to do with schemas and semantics?

John

Sent from my iPad