[x3d-public] Clothes and materials

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 16:27:58 PDT 2021

Konstantin, maybe look into Khronos’ “3D Commerce” standards.

I think what’s typically done is an image is laid across a mesh.   I
suggest looking into ray tracing/ray marching of various materials, but I’m
pretty sure that it’s hard to beat images (of real materials) plus normal
maps.  Perhaps Transparency and Refraction maps?  Idk.  Sounds like fun!
Also look into glTF 2.0 extensions (PBR Next).

I suggest learn what is already done, that will give you an idea of what
needs to be improved.

I think one think that could be improved would be the addition of 2D text
to 3D surfaces.   I think you already suggested logos!

Ideally something like a stack-based 3D graphic language like PostScript is
something that would be great.   I’m guessing that Warnock worked on that
many, many years ago.

Integrating SVG, X3D and CSS3 into a single language would be cool too.

Moving X3D browsers to Vulkan and webGPU seems to be where currently
improvement should happen.

Look at how to put a terminal emulator onto a curved surface was what I saw
was a good goal 35 years ago.   I’m not really sure we’re any closer.

John