[x3d-public] Mantis? No SceneGraphStructureStatement AbstractNodeType present in old X3D3 versions, X3DUOM

Brutzman, Donald (Don) (CIV) brutzman at nps.edu
Tue Sep 14 12:36:56 PDT 2021

Regarding backwards compatibility:

  *   XML Schemas are available for all versions of X3D, 3.0 through 4.0,  Each has evolved past the prior version.
  *   X3DUOM is autogenerated from each corresponding XML schema, similarly showing evolution.
  *   We have paid a lot of attention to forward/backward compatibility among these many versions of X3D and VRML97.

It is possible to maintain multiple versions of corresponding software builds but that seems fairly counterproductive.  Better is strategy at top of X3DJSAIL page:

  *   Test ongoing development of X3D version 4<https://www.web3d.org/x3d4> (also supporting X3D versions 3.0 through 3.3).
So X3DJSAIL, X3DPSAIL and X3D Ontology (and for that matter XML Schema and X3D DOCTYPE) are focused on 4.0 completeness in each implementation, including backwards compatibility to good effect.

Thus X3DUOM updates are not postponed at all, rather these match exactly each version of the X3D Specification as captured by X3D XML Schemas.

Hope this is clearer now.