[x3d-public] status of spherical movie textures taken from 360 cameras

John Carlson yottzumm at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 13:43:45 PDT 2021

I'm planning on getting a 360 degree camera and placing my
flowers/roses/rhodonea/orbits in a scene with a 3D textured sphere as
background.  I'm looking for some experts in the field of mapping 360
degree textures to spheres.  I might not only put scenes inside spheres,
I might deform spheres, and layer a 360-degree texture over the deformed
spheres.

I've done a bit of work mapping .mp4's to spheres, so I might have a leg
up on the problem if I can find those examples.

I don't know if there's still outstanding issues with x3dom and
texturing mp4s.  Here's the Big Buck Bunny Movie reference I might use
to put into a PBR Next rendering of my rhondonea:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Buck_Bunny.  I hope I can do both my
rhodonea as shapes and the .mp4s or whatever the 360-degree format is in
X3DOM or X_ITE.   Currently, I'm planning a Three.JS implemenation to
get PBR Next features.

Hopefully none of this will be super complex, and we might get a X3DOM
or X_ITE implementation as a result of learning how to accomplish the
task in Three.JS.

Anyone with spherical background experience would be wonderful, I have
6-sided box background experience.

I guess I'll go analyze the PBR Next example in Three.JS.

Thanks!